Octane gas

:
Mazdaspeed 6
What octane gas do u use?

I live in cali and we don't get 93 here, we only get the poor piss 91octane. Do u think if i mix the nos octane 7points booster with the 91 is a good idea.

I've read that the Speed3/6 is recommended using 93 and using anything less can decrease n get worse gas mileage and decrease a little bit of performance, if this is true "this sucks".

a bunch of people use 91 on here there was a whole thread about it a while back..do some searching ull find what ur looking for.

The car is tuned to run on 91 from the factory since 93 is not available in all states.

Mixing octane booster is not a solid replacement for actual octane gas. I'd save your money. Get the car tuned to run better on 91 octane if you so desire.

a bunch of people use 91 on here there was a whole thread about it a while back..do some searching ull find what ur looking for.
too lazy to search threads....

The car is tuned to run on 91 from the factory since 93 is not available in all states.

Mixing octane booster is not a solid replacement for actual octane gas. I'd save your money. Get the car tuned to run better on 91 octane if you so desire.

I thought the car was tuned for 93 and 91 is ok to use. That's what i remember

rlly?? i didnt know that..i thought it was state by state because here in new england anywhere u go u can find 93..i wonder since its tuned for 91 like u say if i put 91 in instead of 93 would it run better(get better mileage)..?? i would have to go to sonoco to do it which i hate i only use shell but id give it a try.

thats what i thought too

I do believe that this is correct.

In response to using octane booster... you need to be pretty careful with how much of that stuff you use (though I wouldn't recommend it). The MS6 has a pretty small fuel tank, so if you actually do try some out only go with half a bottle at most. I wouldn't want to use it every tank either. You'll end up replacing chemically-fouled spark plugs every 4th tank or so.

I remember reading how if you don't use the recommended 93oct u can cause the car to detonate, lose gas mileage and power

Modern ECU's can detect octane and adjust fuel maps accordingly. I know that any car that claims to get better performance is calibrated for 91 from the factory. If not, it would be much more costly to tune individual cars for each state. The only difference is the ACN (Arizona, Ca, Nevada) models and the federal model (everyone else).

A real good example of this is the Mustang Bullitt, they are tuned for 91 from the factory, but to squeeze even more power out of them, they need a 93 tune. Same goes for our cars, that's why people like Cobb offer maps for both 91 and 93, depending on what's available.

I do believe that this is correct.

In response to using octane booster... you need to be pretty careful with how much of that stuff you use (though I wouldn't recommend it). The MS6 has a pretty small fuel tank, so if you actually do try some out only go with half a bottle at most. I wouldn't want to use it every tank either. You'll end up replacing chemically-fouled spark plugs every 4th tank or so.

Oops... I used that when driving from from Washington to Texas (especially when, in the middle of bumscrew no where, NM, all they had was 90 octane. Thought it would help. Guess that explains why my car started rough.... Haven't used it since and we have 92 here in Wichita Falls. I will say that it did help when the bonehead in Oregon that filled my tank up put in 87 octane :mad:

i believe all federal model ecu's are tuned for 93 from the factory, considering in my owners manual it says 93 octane.

as for octane boosters, they are crap and i wouldn't waste my money on them. if you want to mix something with your gas to bring up the octane get some toluene.

The original 2006 ECU's were mapped for 93 minimum. The 06 reflash, and the 07's have a different tune allowing for 91 usage.

The 06 without reflash can run 91, hell, it can even run off of 87, but the ECU will limit power, retard the hell out of spark timing and you will know the difference.

I've heard CX-7 owners who've pulled the neg. terminal battery and reset the ECU to run on 87. Didn't run great, but it will run.

The original 2006 ECU's were mapped for 93 minimum. The 06 reflash, and the 07's have a different tune allowing for 91 usage.

The 06 without reflash can run 91, hell, it can even run off of 87, but the ECU will limit power, retard the hell out of spark timing and you will know the difference.

Do you think this effects the fact that my car feels a little slower now than before when i was stock!! My MS6 for some reason felt like a factory freak...no joke

When i was stock i pulled on a 99-04 GT manual and 98-02 trans AM don't know if it was a regular V8 or WS6 but it had the body style of the WS6 and dual pipes on both sides. I was on my way back from So-cal and i was driving normal around 70 and i see a Yellow GT stang fly by and a tenth of a sec later the black Trans Am flew by. They were caught behind a minivan and fortunately i caught up back to them due to the minivan and car's traveling slow. Once the road opened up, i knew they were going to go so i was in 4th at around 60-65mph stayed behind. The Stang was in the front, leading the pack and decided to move into the right lane. I was on the Trans AM's a** doing 130, he then moved over to the right lane. As we were passing the Stang "By this time my speedo says a little over 140" and i took her up to 153-155mph and let off. The Trans Am was about 2-3cars back in the other lane probably at 150mph.

Anyways I'm Now running:

Stupid a** dealer REFLASH
MS CAI
3"PG Test Pipe
2 Dynomax Turbo mufflers

car feels slower than i was stock seriously. I noticed when i got the REFLASH, the car alot slower!!

Is there a piece of equipment out there that will tell me what version of virmware my ECU has? I'm not sure I've ever seen a code scanner do this.

Back