Running Boards???

benben01

:
2008 MS3 GT
I know this was covered a while back. Just wondering if anyone has found some nice molded/OEM looking running boards for the 9'

benben01,
I was (still is, I guess) interested in this, and did some search on it.
So far, I have seen 0 picture of any running board/side step installed CX9.
Here are a few:
www.erzperformance.com (search "mazda cx9")
www.runningboardwarehouse.com ( out of stock now - apparently someone did it!!! )
There were black and stainless ones (side steps). It was on eBay for a while.
Since it is out of stock, maybe they will design new ones, who knows.
In Canada, the side step seems to be OE accessory, but not in US. The list price is about CAN$650. You can see it on any Canadian Mazda dealer. I am sure they will deliver if you really want one for that much.

Anyway, I am still sitting on the fence because CX9 has very low door edge, the side steps will have to be even lower. I wonder if it will look OK at all? Therefore, I will have to see a picture first.

I am sure many will question the need for it. You will get a lot of those posts following mine. I plan to do it for my mom who occasionally stays with us.

Anyway, that is as much as I know, ... for now.

Here's a picture of what the OE Canadian sidestep tubes look like on the CX9. I've seen it, and personally, I don't think it looks right. The rounded tubular look just doesn't go well with the sleek profile of the CX9 in my opinion. But, if you are interested, the good thing for you, neighbours, is it's $650.00 CAD, which is like $100.00 USD! (no just kidding, it's actually about $540.00 USD with today's exchange rate.)
3422610040_7ff7bb4c5d.jpg

Last edited:
IF someone had to have them, I think the best design would be flat on top, with a contoured bottom and black or dark grey. More integrated and less obvious.

Thanks for the picture. The link is OK.
I do find it a bit low as expected.
Besides, it looks like the side step would interfere with the mud flaps... by looking at the photo.

The non-OE version of side-step can be had for $259 (free S&H) a while back (no more, from runningboardwarehouse.com). $540 is way too much for me, not even adding the S&H from our good neighbor...

If I didn't have little kids and a short wife, I wouldn't care. But the running boards will help out the "little" people in my life (lol2)

Does any know what they mean by "(must remove underseal cover)" for the Onki running bords on the erzperformance website? What does this underseal cover look it?

How about a little folding step to carry in the back? Messing with the suspension isn't a good idea, either, unless you can do and air system to crouch the car for passenger loading.

That cover underneath is one of the reasons I've always though nerfs were impractical, too.

H&R and Eibachs are only 1.5-1.75" lower than stock. While that may not seem like a lot, but that it will help out a little.

Found newly available nerf bar for CX9 on autoanything.com.
Black and stainless ($179 vs $265). With 10% off and free shipping.
Seems very good price. If anyone is interested.
Maker: Steelcraft
The old source: ionic automotive no longer has stainless bar for CX9.
Only black one available on eBay for $189.
Just FYI.

I'd be surprised i they are really "no drill" having been under my CX 9. I wonder how they clear the line cover underneath, too.

I certainly would get black, If I was so inclined too, just to hide them.

I agree. I got under the CX9 and can't find any no-drill solution unless the under chassis cover is removed. One of the major reasons that I am still sitting out on this installation.... (now that I have seen the picture).

Back