How to open key to get FCC ID

I've got an 07 Mazda5 and only 1 key. How do I find out what the FCC ID is so that I can attempt to find a less costly 2nd key? There's no sticker on it, does the cover pop open? I wanna be careful with this key because it's my only one. I also have a written 5-digit key code from the dealer "Sales Delivery Checklist". Is that the FCC ID also? Any assistance appreciated.

Here are the instructions on how to open it up:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=123901

I assume that you will be looking on ebay. When doing so, just keep the dealer's price in mind which is about $180 for the transponder plus key (switchblade style).

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214264

CC43675RYC, $141.36 (transponder)
G2YA762GXB, $39.01 (blank key for transponder, with chip)
KRTT09001, $0.49 key ring

and if you want a third key without a transponder: F1Y1762GX, $22.58 (blank key with chip, no transponder). This is a "real" key, smaller than the transponder and what I now keep on my key ring since the Mazda5 is primarily my wife's car at this point - with summer coming up I don't want the bulky transponder in my pants pocket. "Are you happy to see me, or do you drive a Mazda5?"

Keys come pre-cut if you provide your VIN.

And for the bad news - since you only have one working key and one working transponder, you will need to pay the dealer to program the new ones for you, it will cost about $80.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, you laid out all the info I needed. I was trying to piece together various threads and was getting confused. I was extra careful taking my key apart and managed to find the FCC ID in little, teeny print (magnifier required) and it matches several of the different keys on EBay. $50 on EBay vs. $200 from the dealer, wow. My dealer charges $89 to program but on the bright side, Auto Club reimburses $60 for emergency lockout/keys made service. I don't think anyone else in these forums had mentioned this so I'll have to find out more details from my Auto Club.

Is the $50 ebay transponder a new Mazda transponder, a used Mazda transponder, or a new aftermarket transponder?

And please let us know what you find out from the auto club.

The only snag I can see on the auto club is that it's for emergency lockouts - if you don't have any working keys they will pay up to $60 towards a new key. For the sake of arguement say you have one working key / transponder but tell the auto club you lost it. The dealer will program a new key / transponder which would mean your old key / transponder no longer work meaning you still only have one working key / transponder and would need the dealer to program both for you.

In other words, you would get a new key, but your old one would no longer work. It could work but you would need to pay to have the dealer program it.

Last edited:
Now I see the difference, the $50 ones have USED remotes with uncut blades. The $80 ones have NEW remotes with uncut blades. As long as the FCC ID matches, can't the used remotes be reprogrammed to open/close my doors?

I see your point about the Auto Club Emergency Service. I talked with a phone rep and maybe she didn't quite understand my particular situation when she told me that there's a $60 reimbursement. Yes, I wouldn't want to nullify my 1st key in any way. The whole point of my thread was to ask about getting a 2nd copy. I've been meaning to call them back to confirm my situation qualifies for the $60.

Back