Touch Up Paint

What did you end up getting? I have a chipped area on the rear quarterpanel that I need to take care of. Any suggestions on how/ what to use? I saw they had some pen thing and the clearcoat and midcoat?

I tore some deep scratches in the front corner above the driving light blank. Since touch up wouldn't work, I ordered a spray can of Galaxy Gray, Clear Coat, and a bottle of rubbing compound.

I also bought a can of fill primer for plastic components locally.

I had to sand down and fill the gouges and a few chips, including one on the passenger mirror.

If you have a clean chip out of the paint only, you can fill it in 2 or 3 layers and be okay. If it's larger than 1/16" or so, then you have to do a concentric fill, sand it down smooth, and clear coat the area around it. Then rebuff with rubbing compound. Not polishing compound or wax.

For filling I prefer a pin or toothpick. The brushes and dobbers don't really work. Just get a drop on the end and touch the center of the chip.

Last edited:
Yuck! Sounds like a lot of work. Don't know if I feel comfortable sanding my car and rebuffing with a rubbing compound. I thought I could just buy the touch-up and fill in the chip with paint, dry and then repeat.

If its tiny, yes. If it's visible from 10 feet away, even well filled it will show because of the lack of clear coat.

Got a photo of your chip?

I used Color Rite in the past. They make nice stick pens that have a nice precision tip. Run about $20 a stick.

Hey vike, did you get it fixed?

Here is my bumper repair...

Attachments

• CX9 Bumper Repair 1.JPG
    CX9 Bumper Repair 1.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 364
  • CX9 Bumper Repair 2.JPG
    CX9 Bumper Repair 2.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 337
  • CX9 Bumper Repair 3.JPG
    CX9 Bumper Repair 3.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 338
  • Car Bumper Repair 5.JPG
    Car Bumper Repair 5.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 355
Thanks. I did some small touch up work on my truck, but that's a white work truck and I did a quickie just to make it look a little better.

Never did such a large visible area, and not on a car this nice, or with paint like this. Pretty good match from Paint Scratch, and nice rubbing compound and lacquer. I'm ordering more of the rubbing compound just to keep the clear coat looking good. I used it on some minor marks and scratches and they disappeared.

I found out when doing the mirror that they had the same problem as the interior trim pieces that peeled. You can see the big bare spot in the middle. Once I breached the clear coat, everything dissolved the paint; Windex, primer, even the new paint. I ended up having to totally strip the piece and start from scratch, so that is all new paint.

There wasn't primer on the mirrors, so I'm guessing they used a plastic bonder right in the paint that didn't work.

Some owners have talked about removing the rear emblems, but they have studs. That would be a much easier paint repair than what I did here.

Last edited:
No, I haven't had a chance to have the car clean and take a pic. I actually just ran through a rock shower the other day and got a bunch more chips out of the front of the car. I was two cars behind a semi who went onto the shoulder and threw up a bunch of rocks at us. Sounded like it was hailing.

I have the worst luck with this stuff. The same thing happened to me three months after I bought my new Sentra a couple years ago. I'm thinking about putting in a comp claim in to fix it. I wish carmakers used paint that didn't scratch and chip if you look at it wrong. I've got the worst swirl marks or clouded areas on the thing from the dealer buffing it before they gave it to me. Any ideas on how to get rid of them. I'll try to take a pic of that and the chip to see if I can just touch it up and not have to do what you did.

It looks awesome btw. I don't think I would ever try to repaint my vehicle, but I'm not exactly the handiest of handymen.

I've got the worst swirl marks or clouded areas on the thing from the dealer buffing it before they gave it to me. Any ideas on how to get rid of them.

It looks awesome btw. I don't think I would ever try to repaint my vehicle, but I'm not exactly the handiest of handymen.

Thank you for those kind words, Your Majesty.

Get a good rubbing compound. NOT polishing compound or swirl remover. Paint shop rubbing compound. The one I bought from Paint Scratch to do this job works great, as I said. You can hand apply it and get rid of any clear coat marks, as long as they aren't dig in.

As far as the paint repair, if you are a little patient it's really easy to do. The two keys are knowing how to spray paint (particularly with the mica paint), and identifying your mask and feather lines.
I did this in an afternoon, except for polishing the clear coat, which has to be done at least 3 days later. We also avoided driving the car on the highway until then.
This was my first repaint on a nice car. I did have a lot of spray can experience from building models, and rebuilding cars and motorcycles. (repainting frames and engine blocks, etc.)

Let's have a look at your paint. front and back.

I'm not being critical here, just want to make sure everyone understands - auto paint, especially metallic paint, is virtually impossible to get an exact match on. for jobs larger than rock chips on bumpers, if you have a sharp eye for detail, want a perfect match and have the cash, I would advise against DIY... unless of course you know what you're doing.

the body shop I took my last car to refuses to do spot-repair. they paint the entire panel and feather the edges to the connecting panels so you can't see the difference. I can't tell you how many bumpers I look at where I can clearly see the difference in the shade of the body, when someone brings their car post-fender bender to the lowest bidder instead of a quality shop. I also know a guy who had a body kit put on a relatively new 350z. Paid thousands for a beautiful kit, waited months for it to arrive from China, and told the shop to paint it the factory color. the problem is, paint fades, so a match to factory paint doesn't match the car. I can clearly see the difference between the body kit and the car, the car being several shades lighter than the kit. I don't have the heart to tell him though; ignorance is bliss.

now if you don't have the cash or the eye for detail, or are color blind, drive entirely at night, or your objective is simply to make it look a lot better, then go for it. 98% of the population will probably never notice. but it sounds like some of you aren't aware of this, and if you care enough to spend time on this forum, chances are good you care enough to want an exact match.

I'm guessing you fall under the category "don't know what you're doing" then. I don't appreciate you calling me a fraud and my repair can't be real, because it can't be done.

It's not that hard to match with a little care and attention to detail.

I JUST did it. How can you state that it's impossible? I know exactly where I feathered my repair, and I can't see the transition. The paint is perfect. Maybe your shop just sucks, since they refuse to do what I did in my garage in a couple of hours.

There are plenty of bad body shops out there, but that doesn't mean it cant be done.

UGH.

gee, you're awfully sensitive.

I'm not being critical here, just want to make sure everyone understands...

...because it sounds like some people might not understand what they may be getting into.

yes, I fall under the category of "don't know what I'm doing." my post was not in response to your original post, which you've obviously assumed. I think it's great you chose to share the knowledge, that is what we're here for. but to someone who has never had paint work done, I think it's important that they take ALL things into consideration. if someone follows your advice but DOESN'T know what they're doing, they probably won't be happy with the outcome. you failed to mention that. I was simply filling in the blanks, sharing my experience, trying to help (others).

As far as your flaming and your defense for name calling and accusations which I never made, grow the F--- up already. or take your medication, or whatever.

Excuse me, but you made absolute statements. Not statements with qualifiers.

I know that most people will not attempt this. I said it can be done, IF you know how to paint with a spray can, and have some patience and detail. I did this with basic knowledge and almost no experience on car bodies.

You said it's impossible. Period.

I'm defending against your negative absolute, and not 'flaming' anything, or anyone. Vike needs a repair, and I want him to know that it can be done, even with little experience. I'm trying to help encourage people, you come on and make them feel helpless.

You're the one with the negtive knee jerk reaction and insults.

Last edited:
actually I said 'virtually' impossible. arguing with you would be as pointless as arguing with a child, so I'll let that drop along with all of the other erroneous comments you've made. and when I ignore any attacks you make on my future posts, opinions, etc., you'll know why.

(screwy)

Back