Wire An Aftermarket Subwoofer To BOSE Or Stock MS3 Stereo

hollywood0027

:
'08 Black Mica Mazda Speed 3
NOTE: I am not responsible for any damage done to your vehicle. Perform these steps at your own risk. If you do not feel you are capable of safely doing the following, do not attempt this project.

For all of those who don’t want to remove the seat to splice into a large cluster of BOSE wires there is another way. This can also be used with those who don’t have the BOSE stereo as the wires entering the door speakers should be color-coded the same. This will NOT affect the operation of your BOSE/stock stereo unless you are stupid and cut the wires in the wiring harness or short your bare wires together while the stereo is on. You will need the following for this procedure:

Speaker Wire (18-22 guage)
Wire Tap-In Squeeze Connectors (handy splicers) (18-22 guage)
Electrical Tape
Pliers
LOC (Line Output Converter - to convert the speaker wire inputs into RCA inputs for your amplifier)
Possibly a set of little fingers for attaching the handy splicers to the wiring harness, as my fingers are fairly large which seemed to make it a little difficult. I found it is easier if you place the splicers around the wire in the harness and then place your speaker wire in it and squeeze.

For those who haven’t run their power wire yet, I don’t have pictures of this but I ran my power wire from the battery compartment, across the firewall (behind the heat shield) to the rubber grommet on the passenger side. It was easily forced through the side of this grommet and enters the car just behind the glovebox (which can be removed as per the instructions in the how-to here http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123698529 thanks jam asian85.) I then ran it along the passenger side below the step plates to the rear of the car. What I have written here is how to easily tap into either the stock OR the Bose stereo speaker wires for LOC inputs for the aftermarket subwoofer’s amplifier.

First Step: (First Picture)
Remove the front and rear door step plates (it will pull straight up and out along with the rear step plate. It will feel like you are breaking something, but you are not) and the plastic pillar cover in between the two.

Second Step: (Pictures 2-4)
Locate the wiring harnesses that follow the pillar up to the rear door jam and into the rear door.

On the driver’s side locate:
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Purple
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray/White
On the passenger’s side locate:
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): White
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
These wires will be spliced to your speaker wire using the wire tap-in squeeze connectors and run to the back of the car into a LOC to convert it to RCA inputs for your amplifier. NOTE: Make sure you splice your speaker wire so that the white striped wire is connected to the Negative Speaker wire which will make it easy to remember which wire is positive and negative when connecting it to the LOC, otherwise your LOC will have trouble outputting a clean signal. I tested these wires by pushing the end of a spare piece of speaker wire into the harness and running it to a spare stereo speaker I had lying around, then turning on the stereo and making sure the speaker played music. (Picture 2) Another Note: If you happen to drop one of your handy wire splicers inside the pillar, it can be retrieved by carefully removing the seatbelt, which I believe took a 11mm socket for the small bolt and a 14mm socket for the larger bolt. Some people would say definitally stay away from these do to their CO2 pre-tensioner, but if you are very careful and don’t throw it around or cut wires you will be ok.

On the Drivers Side (Picture 3), after splicing in the wire and wrapping the connections in electrical tape, I ran the wire down and under the rear step plate and along the side behind the rear seats under the back floor panel.

On the Passenger Side (Picture 4) I ran the wire up and over the door (inside the rubber door surround) because I chose to run my power wire down the passenger side under the step plate, and didn’t want the stereo signal wire to be near it due to possible interference caused by the power surges along the power wire. I also unhooked the harness from the pillar by pushing the wings on the plastic rivet together and pulling it away from the pillar. This gave me more room to attach the splicing hardware.

Third Step: (Picture 5)
After running the wires to the back, I connected them to my LOC below the rear floor and then ran the RCA cable around the side of the cover to my amplifier. I custom built my box to slant the subwoofer slightly towards the front of the car and wired my sub/amp setup so that it can be easily removed when I would like more room to carry larger luggage or my mtn bike.

Last Step:
Replace side panels, clean up your mess, and enjoy!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 5,426
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 4,915
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 4,565
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 4,365
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 7,663
Last edited:
It works!

Did this last week, It works great... Just looking for more bass control. In other words, want to clean up the sound. Any suggestions?

thanks for the write up! going to be doing an install when it warms up outside, this will be really helpful

Did this last week, It works great... Just looking for more bass control. In other words, want to clean up the sound. Any suggestions?

What amp are you using? I have a Rockford Fosgate 300s wired in this way and the signal comes out clear as can be. I do believe it has a noise filter on it though, and comes with its own volume control which I find handy when I want to keep the car speakers at the same level but vary only the sub. You might check the gains on your LOC and amp, might get a little fuzzy if they are both up all the way. Also make sure your power wires aren't anywhere near your speaker wires. Hope this helps.

I've asked this question before with no answer, maybe I'll get one here.
Why tap into the speaker line either; at the door, the amp input(RCA splice), or amp output, when I've read that this frequency range is limited by the head unit to promote longer speaker life, and Bose just likes it that way.

Why has no one tried tapping the Sub output from the amp under the drivers seat, or the line level from the sub input under the passengers seat? Shouldn't this method yield a lower frequency range since it's designed to run a sub?

That is a good question, and one I also attempted to research before doing my installation. Here is what I found:

Due to the BOSE sub under the passenger seat actually being very little in size, many people think that the frequency range might not actually be as low as you might get from the general speaker inputs. I found this hard to believe, but did think of something else. Since the BOSE will filter the frequency to that sub itself, you will have much less tuning capability on your aftermarket setup if using this output instead of the general speaker outputs.

Everything I researched also pointed towards the door speakers recieving as low a frequency as the dedicated subwoofer, along with everything else in between.

After installation in my vehicle I ran a Bass Mekanik soundcheck on my aftermarket setup to put my mind to rest. It performed very well on the entire HZ sweep and did not cut out down low. I can safely say that my aftermarket amp and sub recieve the entire frequency range from the headunit, and with this setup I can have the choice of the entire range to filter to my sub. Also, with this setup you still have the stereo (left input, right input) option (though not a big deal even with dual subs) and front/rear fade option that you wouldn't have if you ran the sub input from under the passenger seat.

Hope this helps.

i found this product (add an amplifier kit) and was curious if his would do the same job. It look like the wiring harness is plugged into this and this is plugged into the factory radio. and bam you get some rca outs right there behind the stereo. If this thing works it seems this would be a much easier solution.

I've asked this question before with no answer, maybe I'll get one here.
Why tap into the speaker line either; at the door, the amp input(RCA splice), or amp output, when I've read that this frequency range is limited by the head unit to promote longer speaker life, and Bose just likes it that way.

Why has no one tried tapping the Sub output from the amp under the drivers seat, or the line level from the sub input under the passengers seat? Shouldn't this method yield a lower frequency range since it's designed to run a sub?

The Bose signal processor is located within the amp itself under the driver's seat. The processor basically takes line level F/R inputs and converts them to F/R/Sub outputs. As already mentioned, it's much better to simply tap into the front or rear inputs that lead to the Bose amp/processor, and run a simple low level RCA conversion to the aftermarket amp (or get an amp that accepts line level inputs). And if you have the Bose, an active LOC such as the Cleansweep or REQ might be a bit of an overkill. The line level inputs from the HU are already "clean."

Last edited:
i found this product (add an amplifier kit) and was curious if his would do the same job. It look like the wiring harness is plugged into this and this is plugged into the factory radio. and bam you get some rca outs right there behind the stereo. If this thing works it seems this would be a much easier solution.

I am interested if this Adapter would work. After this is in all you need to do is run RCA's from the head unit and power from the battery.

I am interested if this Adapter would work. After this is in all you need to do is run RCA's from the head unit and power from the battery.

i guess I'll just have to buy it when i get paid next week and try it out. I'll Lt you know how it turns out.

So far this has worked great for me, but I am stuck on where to hook up the amp's remote turn-on wire. I think it needs a 12v connection that is only active when the car is on and the one that is built into my LOC doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

I have the stock audio system (non-bose).

Edit: I am using an old RF Punch 300s amp.

Last edited:
So far this has worked great for me, but I am stuck on where to hook up the amp's remote turn-on wire. I think it needs a 12v connection that is only active when the car is on and the one that is built into my LOC doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

I have the stock audio system (non-bose).

Edit: I am using an old RF Punch 300s amp.

Edit2: Found out the bolt I was using for the ground wasn't grounded, so will try again when I am at home.

I bolted the grounding wire to a bolt under the spare tire, great connection there. As for the remote turn on wire lead, I connected it to the back of the cigarette lighter, which is only active when the ignition is on. I also ran that to a switch, then to the amp, so that I can turn the amp off if I start to get a headache (eyeballs)

I bolted the grounding wire to a bolt under the spare tire, great connection there. As for the remote turn on wire lead, I connected it to the back of the cigarette lighter, which is only active when the ignition is on. I also ran that to a switch, then to the amp, so that I can turn the amp off if I start to get a headache (eyeballs)

I just used a bolt nearby the one I had used before. Turns out the screw I was using as a ground was just being anchored by plastic. I would have saved myself a lot of trouble if I had a multimeter on me at the time.

It works now, and it sounds good but not great. The LOC that had the built-in REM amp turn-on works perfectly too, just had to wire it up properly.

Need help.

I am trying to install my subwoofer and amp up to my existing headunit and need to know where to purchase a Line Output Converter. THANKS

Back