Cat back Exhaust... Who's interested?

benben01

:
2008 MS3 GT
I know this is not for everyone. For those CX-9 owners out there who wants a throatier drone free exhaust, please let me know. I live relatively close to CP-E (www.cp-e.com) and plan on stopping to speak with the owner and see if they can fabricate an exhaust system for us. The quality and amount of R&D they put into their products is top notch. So speak up people! :D

possibly. i'd definitely like to learn what you find.

a more aggressive sound when you punch it is appealing, but there would need to be a performance boost to interest me. I think that would be a challenge on the 9 since exhausts frequently rob from the low end to add to the high end... and although I've driven <1k miles it seems like the 9 dogs on the low end already. and the price point would need to be appropriate for what you get. appearance is also a consideration - I actually like the stock contoured tips, but I also think chrome dual-tips cut at the same angle as the bumper would look real nice - like the TL-S (http://www.productioncars.com/send_file.php/acura_tl_s_rear_black_2008.jpg).

... and although I've driven <1k miles it seems like the 9 dogs on the low end already.

You need to teach it to be more aggressive. After my wife drives it, it IS a dog (comparatively speaking), but after I drive it a little the way it was intended, whooopeeee! The only thing holding it back is the garbage Bridgestones with their ice-on-butter grip.

I haven't made much of an in road with CP-E. However, Magna Flow has some header/cat combo for the 3.5 duratec use on the Edge/MKX/FLEX. It looks promising especially if it's a high flow cat.

Yeah very cool, loved to have a better sounding zoom zoom machine.
And as u say, to stand out from the other cx-9s.

Used the search function and now I'm resurrecting this old thread...any movement on this topic? Or has anyone dropped high-flow mufflers on the 9?

I have! I am running a Flowmaster in the center of the vehicle where the OEM resonator used to live and I removed the two OEM mufflers at the rear in place of straight pipes but used the stock square chrome tips. I love it!

interesting, I would like to hear it too. This is the first vehicle that I have not toyed with yet. I wish we could get the power the mustang was getting stock with a programer or something. I love my CX-9 but after driving my 500hp truck it really is a dog, I think for the weight of the 9 it needs 300+ hp at least at the crank.

So I am still trying to figure out how to upload either a sound file or a small flick but here are some pics of my exhaust set up. Correction it is not a Flowmaster it is a Magnaflow.

NUWGLEy.jpg

ZvQGEt0.jpg

pxVSV2y.jpg

Last edited:
So I am still trying to figure out how to upload either a sound file or a small flick but here are some pics of my exhaust set up. Correction it is not a Flowmaster it is a Magnaflow.

NUWGLEy.jpg

ZvQGEt0.jpg

pxVSV2y.jpg

Someone please tell him how to upload a video of the exhaust sound. If you can upload one to youtube just post the link

Glad this thread got "re-upped"!!! I'm new to this forum, having just found y'all and having just picked up my first Mazda. My wife & I LOVE her CX9, but you know... I drive it too and would like to make a few changes. I am in CA, so I don't want to bother my neighbors or cops with a loud system. The right side muffler is slightly damaged and pushed in. I found OEM mufflers for over $250, and found some N1 knock-off mufflers for $35-50 on ebay. Having read reviews, etc, I'd like to add these to increase MPG and perhaps add a little more HP. The problem is I don't want extra noise. Has anybody tried these N1's on a CX9? Any help would be appreciated and I look forward to sharing my results if I do go that way.

And yes, I would also LOVE to hear how this set-up sounds, Davicho!!!

Does the right muffler has a big dent on it? Coz mine has it too and I dont know if the previous owner hit something but there is no sign of scratches just a big dent.

Glad this thread got "re-upped"!!! I'm new to this forum, having just found y'all and having just picked up my first Mazda. My wife & I LOVE her CX9, but you know... I drive it too and would like to make a few changes. I am in CA, so I don't want to bother my neighbors or cops with a loud system. The right side muffler is slightly damaged and pushed in. I found OEM mufflers for over $250, and found some N1 knock-off mufflers for $35-50 on ebay. Having read reviews, etc, I'd like to add these to increase MPG and perhaps add a little more HP. The problem is I don't want extra noise. Has anybody tried these N1's on a CX9? Any help would be appreciated and I look forward to sharing my results if I do go that way.

And yes, I would also LOVE to hear how this set-up sounds, Davicho!!!

Wow... that sounds pretty good! I traded in a 2007 Expedition with a Magnaflow and loved the sound. My family complains that they never know when I get home anymore because the Mazda is so quiet. Now you've got me thinking about upgrading.

How much did it cost?

This set up ran me $240 out the door. I did feel a more open and peppy feel from opening up the exhaust the way did. I also swapped a K&N drop-in filter in place of the OEM restrictive filter. MPGs stood the same but I also didn't do this upgrade with fuel economy gains in mind. Needless to say I love this set up and it sounds perfect in my opinion.

Back