header setup??

:
Mazda 3/Axela
so i bought obx headers for my 3 (theyll do for now)
and i have the idea of how to install them ..but i was wondering if someone can give me a more detailed serup for it just to be on the safe side..thank you! :)

what exactly do you want to know? you remove the old one and put in a new one. are you concerned with throwing a cel? with placement of 02 sensors before install? be a bit more specific and i am sure i can help you..

well im trying to run them with my stock exhaust until i get a catback..can i do that or should i just wait for the exhaust...and yes about placement of o2sensor..i think i need to get a custom insert made no?

yeah you can run a header on a stock exhaust. i did that for over a year i believe it sounded great!! for the second 02 sensor you want a spacer for it you could use the spark plug non fouler trick by placing 1 non fouler in the 02 bung then your 02 sensor so its spaced out and protected a tiny bit from the stream. your first 02 sensor should be up at the top of one of the primaries and shouldn't be f-d with. the second one if your header doesn't have a bung for it already not sure what brand you are getting and am not familiar with anything but thunder is further down usually after the collector. it like i said needs to be spaced out with out a cat as it is "sniffing" for a working cat.

i have an OBX Header....i tried installing it but i realized that i need an additional flex pipe because the header itself wont reach the exhaust piping...how will that work with the second o2 sensor?

OBXheadermazda3.jpg

as far as i can tell you have 1 02 bung in the header from that pic is that correct? if thats the case your flex pipe is going to need an 02 bung welded into place for the 2 sensor.

o ok yea!
so ya id need an additional flex pipe since it didnt come with it and the stock one on my 3 is welded on directly to the stock header

OBX actually sells a flex pipe for the OBX header. If your interested in purchasing it, contact DarkMotorsports. He is a Vendor for OBX.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr3/*******************/Mazda%203%20exhaust%20system-OBX/dp-MZR32.jpg

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr3/*******************/Mazda%203%20exhaust%20system-OBX/dp-MZR31.jpg

Last edited:
that looks like a hard pipe to me not a flex pipe... i don't think that it would be an issue i have a totaly solid exhuast and after a few adjustments here and there its quiet as one with a flex pipe... but just letting you know that is not a flex pipe though it has the 02 bung and is already measured up so it should be the easiest solution. isn't protege garage a vendor for obx as well or do they not carry them anymore?

do you run a hard pipe set up akaveli?? i am not sure what others experiences are but mine with a thunder header mid pipe and a draxas exhaust with a custom high flow mid pipe was that it banged around a bit and i had to make some adjustments on the exhuast hangers and soem clamps to get it to not bang around. i also have a stiffer engine mount and will be the first to say the draxas wasn't the greatest fitment either. i am not saying hard pipes are bad just less forgiving is all.

do you run a hard pipe set up akaveli?? i am not sure what others experiences are but mine with a thunder header mid pipe and a draxas exhaust with a custom high flow mid pipe was that it banged around a bit and i had to make some adjustments on the exhuast hangers and soem clamps to get it to not bang around. i also have a stiffer engine mount and will be the first to say the draxas wasn't the greatest fitment either. i am not saying hard pipes are bad just less forgiving is all.

I have the flexpipe but lately I'm starting to hear somthing banging once I have my car above 5krpms. Almost like a pipe hitting the side or something. It doesn't bother me as much since I already have a stiffer REM and an ETD. Eventually i'm going to get under there and see whats going on. :(

Back