Auto-off Accessory Power

GMan-CX9

Hi,

Is there a way to change the behavior of the cigarette lighter near the Aux-in to automatically turn off when the vehicle is turned off ( have an '08)? I want the same behavior as the one under the radio. I want to plug-in an iPod power adapter there and wasn't sure if any of the "auto-off" ones still draw some power. I'm a little concerned about battery drain.

Thanks!

Sure.
A lot of DIY (or you may pay dealer to do it).
Basically, there are constant 12v and switch 12v in every vehicle.
The one under radio is switched 12v. The one in near aux-in is constant 12v. That is how most people like it. All one needs to do is open the center console and re-wire them.

Buy a standard 30amp relay with leads at any parts store and insert the switched leads into the wire feeding the power outlet.
Attach the ground wire to the chassis, and run the trigger wire to the fuse box under the hood or behind the glove box. Use a test light to ID a circuit that only comes on with the ignition, such as the front dash power socket circuit. Then when that outlet heats up, it will also engage the relay and heat up the console. It also keeps the outlet on it's own fuse should you overload it.

I don't know off hand where that fuse is, but it should be easy to find

Do not just tap it from the other outlet.

Last edited:
You can ask, but a dealer will never modify a car like that unless it was designed to have the outlets power settings changed somehow.

You'd be better off going to a knowledgeable audio installer who is familiar with providing switched and unswitched power for amps and things, but it's a fairly simple modification to do yourself, and they will probably charge you $100 to do it. DIY is about $5.

Back