Yakima options w/ factory roof rack

vikefan7

So does anyone know, from experience, if the Yakima Low Rider will attach and stay on the factory roof rack for the 2008 CX-9? It looks like Yakima has not tested this application because it's a dealer install or some lame excuse like that. Their suggestion is to get the Control tower and a certain landing pad, but you can only use that without the roof rack. I have not purchased the roof rack yet, but plan on doing so if I can make this work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is really going to piss me off if I have to go spend $300 to have a rack system. I already have the Q towers and the Low Rider set up for Yakima and I really don't want to go buy yet another tower type.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If you have a CX9 and the low riders, why don't you try it? Or do you not yet have the factory rails?

I'm sure the Low Riders will work. They are not dissimilar to my Mont Blancs, but if you need to be 100%, take one foot to a Mazda dealer and try it on a CX9 with rails.

For $100 I'll let you try one on mine.

If you have a CX9 and the low riders, why don't you try it? Or do you not yet have the factory rails?

I'm sure the Low Riders will work. They are not dissimilar to my Mont Blancs, but if you need to be 100%, take one foot to a Mazda dealer and try it on a CX9 with rails.

For $100 I'll let you try one on mine.

Lol, thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll just take it to the dealer so I don't have to spend another hundy on something else.

I don't have the factory rails yet, that's why I was asking. I spoke with Yakima and they said they couldn't tell me one way or the other, so I figured I would have to just test it out. I just didn't want to buy the racks from Mazda and then find out that the low riders wouldn't work when I could have just bought the control towers. Thanks for the help.

The dealer doesn't have any in stock. I'm waiting to hear back from him. I was just bumping it to see if anyone had first hand knowledge... Looks like I'm going to have to see about some other options. I just don't want to go to another dealer because I won't get the same deal. I priced out the control towers online and it's only $4 more to get them and the landing pads, but it's just another frickin' Yakima set up to add to my stash. I just don't know that I want to go that route...

Tried installing my Yakima EZ Rider towers on the OEM rails and they don't seem to work. They sit nicely on the rails but the clamp doesn't open enough to grab the underside of the rails. Instead it only reaches to where it could grab the inside of the groove which to me seems likely to bend if attached with any force. Any success with any Yakima towers before I go buy a Mont Blanc setup? Lowrides? Rail Grabs? Anything?

Tried installing my Yakima EZ Rider towers on the OEM rails and they don't seem to work. They sit nicely on the rails but the clamp doesn't open enough to grab the underside of the rails. Instead it only reaches to where it could grab the inside of the groove which to me seems likely to bend if attached with any force. Any success with any Yakima towers before I go buy a Mont Blanc setup? Lowrides? Rail Grabs? Anything?

There are no Yakima-supported options for the factory rack. They only support the Control Towers with Landing pad 11, which means if you want to use Yakima you have to ditch your nice new rack.... I'm just glad I tested my low riders out before I went and bought the factory rack. I haven't gone out and bought the control towers yet, but that's what I plan on doing to use all of my other Yakima accessories.

The original tower name from Yakima was "cross tops" ... I (as mentioned in the edmonds post) put them on our CX9... I may have used the wrong name thinking they're the current low riders.. n such... I happen to have a set in stock if anyones interested... I also have a yakima hybrid ( which contains one set of the cross top towers... )... Contact me if anyone's interested...If I've uploaded the pic correctly... you'll see towards the rear ...

Attachments

• cx9.jpg
    cx9.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 247
Back