Engine mounts, vibration and frustration

Mark787B

:
2016 6 - pending
I have an '09 Sport/5-speed and though I only have 100 or so total miles, I'm having an odd intermittent vibration in the pedals, seat and floor, occasionally in the steering wheel as well. This really does not feel like a tire-related problem, more like a mount issue either engine or perhaps subframe.

So, before the inevitable trip to the dealer, can anyone who had mounts replaced on an earlier 5 comment on the characteristics of a bad engine mount? This is really spoiling the new car experience...

I have an '09 Sport/5-speed and though I only have 100 or so total miles, I'm having an odd intermittent vibration in the pedals, seat and floor, occasionally in the steering wheel as well. This really does not feel like a tire-related problem, more like a mount issue either engine or perhaps subframe.

So, before the inevitable trip to the dealer, can anyone who had mounts replaced on an earlier 5 comment on the characteristics of a bad engine mount? This is really spoiling the new car experience...

Hi Mark, does it only happen at certain speeds on the highway. Mine vibrates occasionally, mostly when it's warmer outside, but only on the highway around 80km/hr. My tires have been balanced a couple of times by the dealer, but didn't fix it. I'm wondering if it's the engine mount like you said.

I notice the vibration at anything more than 5 MPH but it isn't a consistent phenomenon. I read the earlier TSB about mount replacement and that referred to vibration at a constant speed and though the vibration does vary depending on speeds, it's not consistent at a given speed. I'll feel a "wave" for example beginning in the floor and traveling to the pedals. Other times, at all speeds, I might note vibration but its slight.

I have vibration at idle as well, and the degree of vibration changes too now that I think about it. I was under the assumption that idle at vibration was somewhat normal, indicative of a later mount design (?)

Last edited:
When I had the broken mount, I couldn't even notice it while driving. The thing that caught my attention was fluid under the car. I checked it out and apparently the passenger side mount(the one that broke) has hydrolic fluid in it and it all leaked out.

Your car sounds like it has a bad/defective axle. Take it back to the dealer ASAP.

Interesting theory about the axle and full of irony if that turns out to be the case: my last car had a leaking axle from day one which led to a nightmare of multiple trips to the dealer 1 1/2 hours away, a lawyer and an eventual cash settlement. I'm not looking forward to going down that road again...

I would check the mounts. More than likely that is the problem. I had a blown passenger side mount on my 3 and it felt exactly as you describe in OP. Are the vibrations worst at idle, red lights, parking lots? That is when my car vibrated the most. It is also a fairly common problem among Mazdas. Good Luck

I would check the mounts. More than likely that is the problem. I had a blown passenger side mount on my 3 and it felt exactly as you describe in OP. Are the vibrations worst at idle, red lights, parking lots? That is when my car vibrated the most. It is also a fairly common problem among Mazdas. Good Luck

Many thanks; I've looked at the mount before and didn't note a tear, etc. but will take a look again, as well as all the others. It hasn't been warm enough around here to go crawling underneath vehicles yet IMO...

Many thanks; I've looked at the mount before and didn't note a tear, etc. but will take a look again, as well as all the others. It hasn't been warm enough around here to go crawling underneath vehicles yet IMO...

When you push it does it bounce back or kinda sink in? I never saw anything leaking from mine or puddle on the ground. When I looked I could see dried up leakage,lol, and when I pushed it it just sunk in. Good luck.

You know I was just about to post; I was poking at it with my index finger and and the rubber mount easily gives-- it's really squishy. I see no leaks. Sound like a bad one? If so, I'll go aftermarket.

I note that when I rest my hand on the surrounding metal it does not vibrate, which makes me think that the mount is doing its job. The engine, however, shakes more than any enigine in any car I've owned in the past 20 years...

Last edited:
Back