Smart Key and Trip Computer

First, I'd like to know what owners do with their smart keys. Seems to fragile and big to keep in a pocket when you sit down. One shaped like the retractable key would be easier.

Second, do the 2009 CX 9s really all come with a trip computer? If so, where is it located?

Thanks

Too big and fragile for a front pocket? I barely even know if it's in my pocket or not. It's smaller than the wallet and cell phone I put in the same pockets (although the phone and key in the same pocket doesn't work).

-Jeff

Even though I think the creditcard-style SmartKey is very sturdy, I would advise putting it in your back pockets. However, I think it was designed so that you can put it in your wallet (much like how you put your creditcard). But, then, you will most likely sit on it. So, I don't know how it will play out. I still put it on my key chain, and leave the whole key chain in my from pockets.

As for trip computer, the display is at where your A/C control (top of center console below the windshield) display is. Don't know about the control aspect. I have the ScanGaugeII which I placed behind the steering wheel, and in front of the odometer.

I test drove a GT. The key seemed like it would bend and break if I had it in my pocket, being so thin. If you have one and it's not a problem, then you answered my question

I think it's fine. I'm sure I could snap it by hand if I tried; but I dont think that's likely in a pocket. It's small enough that it's hard to imagine accidental forces pressuring both sides of it far enough to cause any damage. I ski/run/bike with it in a pocket too.

The greater risk is putting it through the washing machine (which my wife has already done once). I left it alone for quite awhile to dry thoroughly and it still works fine.

Until you asked; I'd never even thought about it so it's not a concern I've had with normal usage.

-Jeff

My '08 CX-9 is my DD, so I have been carrying my smart key in my front right pocket for 15 months, 10 hours a day, 3-4 times a week. No problems so far, and no concerns it might break.

I do have one issue though--the symbols on the buttons are wearing off! (notcool)

My issue with the smartkey is the thin cord that attaches the key to a ring has become frayed. Basically, it's hanging on by a thin nylon cord.

Still under warranty. If the cord is not available stand-alone, then the dealer can order a new smartkey under warranty. I can't imagine this item not available separately.

Maybe I should order an extra one. But, for all I know, Mazda may want $25 for the damn thing.

I just need to get to the stealer soon and get this and a few TSB's out of the way.

BTW, my fob stays in my pocket, and nearly all symbols are wore off the buttons. My wife keeps hers in the purse and looks a lot more pristine than mine.

It's a little bit of a pain carrying the fob with my keys, it just gets too bulky with all the keys I have on my keychain. I thought about putting it in my wallet, but don't like the idea of sitting on it all day. I think I will take your advice CX9 SportOwner and get a manbag. :)

so anyone with a report on the 09 trip computer? Does it alternate with the clock, and does it actually work?

Yes, my CX9 has the Nav. There is an INFO button on the right of the screen where you can scroll through avg mpg, current MPG, mileage left on existing tank of gas, etc. You can also see the time but the nav screen has that too.

As for my key I typically carry it in my jacket pocket. Come summer i will like toss it in my pocket. Maybe the cup holder. Time will tell.

Seems weird that they sell cars with features disabled. I can turn on the Driver Information System display, but the software to take the parameters and display them isn't activated. Weird. It's been there all along, but only turned on for 2009.

I guess they hold back on selling points that can nurse a particular model/platform thrugh its second, third, and fourth year. Toyota is notorious for that type of mentality.

In the second model year, they upgraded the engine, and in the third year they activate the trip computer. I wonder what they'll do for the 2010 if they don't do a complete redesign.

The CX7 gets a new look for 2010, but it looks cosmetic, to better match the new 3. I don't think the CX9 needs a new look, personally.

Seems weird that they sell cars with features disabled. I can turn on the Driver Information System display, but the software to take the parameters and display them isn't activated. Weird. It's been there all along, but only turned on for 2009.

I was able to turn the DIS on also.

Does the 2009 have a separate button for the trip computer?

Back