TCS OFF Feature (tech what does this really do?)

NWCX9

:
2008 Mazda CX9 AWD Touring
So does anyone out there have a full understanding to what is exactly happening when you select the TCS OFF feature? I've read the manual but in my opinion its kind of vague to what is really going on. Does this basically over ride the AWD/TCS when stuck (for speeds under 10mph) and lock the CX9 into true 4WD?? It suggests doing this if you are just starting out from a standstill and find trouble with traction. Kind of sounds like its locking all 4 wheels in just to get you going but flips off into AWD (TCS) once you reach the 10mph thresh hold so you don't overwork the transfercase system. Why else would the CX9 have a 4WD warning light if it didn't have some sort of system which uses pure 4WD traction???

Technically, what is exactly going on here? Limitations for use? And yes I have read the manual......

Thanks!

All it does is turn off the traction control. Traction control works by braking the spinning wheel(s) and cutting engine output. Turning it off allows the wheels to spin, which is what it takes to get moving sometimes.

It has NOTHING to do with the AWD system. The same button has the same function on my FWD CX-9.

All it does is turn off the traction control. Traction control works by braking the spinning wheel(s) and cutting engine output. Turning it off allows the wheels to spin, which is what it takes to get moving sometimes.

It has NOTHING to do with the AWD system. The same button has the same function on my FWD CX-9.

Does that force it into a 4WD mode then???

Back