Gears and RPM relative.

:
2010 CX-9 GT AWD
I am not mechanical engineer, but I think my 07 CX-9 has problem with accelerator power at lower gear. Please give me some advises as I describe my problem below.
From stop to start moving, at normal accelerate push, my RPM usually reaches over 2500 to change from 1 to 2 and 3. If I push a bit harder, RPM will be around 3250 to shift gear up.
If I try to keep RPM not over 2000, my car starts moving and speed up very slowly.
What do you think about this. I am supposing to go to the dealer to see what they say. But anyway I want to ask all you bro. first to get any advise.
One more question, when driving at 5 or 6, and shift to N, do you see RPM drop to around idle. Mine is not, sometime it goes higher even I don't push Accel pedal.

Thank you in advanced.

Last edited:
Well there is a turbo in your car. Not sure if your familiar with turbo's but they have what is called "turbo lag" which is the time it takes for the turbo to start spooling. If you want your car to react when you push the gas then you have to keep it over 3K rpm which is where the turbo will start spooling.

Driving at low rpms is good for gas mileage but definately dont stomp on the throttle when your at low rpm in a high gear. Thats asking for engine trouble.

As for the neutral thing in high gear. My car does something similar. It sometimes goes up maybe 200-300 rpm then drops back down to idle.

Driving turbo cars can get annoying at times at least for me. Im either driving super slow or driving super fast.

Hope that answered your question

The CX9 does not have a turbo. It's a normally aspirated V6 with variable valve timing and an adaptive trans-axle. The engine and trans learn how you drive and adjust accordingly. If you drive aggressive, it holds the shift points longer and adjusts the timing for performance, if you drive conservatively, its lowers the shift points and readjusts the timing for economy.

CX9 has very tall 1st gear. Even considering the final drive ratio, its total rario is still higher than Highlander or Pilot.
What you feel is the high rpm for the 1st grear to get it going. This is good for towing and "zoom-zoom" feel, but bad for MPG....

Yes. I can easily smoke these Bridgestone tires on our '9 if I'm not careful. I'd rather have it like this, than have a gutless 1st like our CR-V (yawn) was, though.

Because my CX-9 is a bit noise when engine rev around 3000, so I don't know if it's normal or need to see the dealer.
If engine and trans learn how we drive to adjust it accordingly, can we reset it to factory default.

ok

As I said, if you want it to get better mileage, just drive conservatively and it will adjust. I think this is a MUCH better system than shutting off cylinders to try to boost MPG.

there is no factory default.

What does that mean? The system must originally be set to some initial state unless you're saying that it's literally randomized on a per vehicle basis. Resetting it may not make much practical difference but at some level you'd think it would be possible.

-Jeff

The system just is. I'm sure there is a range it defaults in when they first build the units.
If you reset the computers by disconnecting power and whatever else is required, you will probably reset the shift points and other parameters as well, but the moment you drive again, it's changed.

Honestly, I'm not sure I understand why he wants to 'reset' the performance computer. Maybe I'm missing something to his question.

I love that this car adapts, though. My wife can get better economy on her short drives to work, and I can get better performance pretending it's an RX8.

Maybe this is a question for a Mazda Technician.

Knowing nothing about how the system works (and not having paid much attention in my own driving); I think the question is about how much long-term history the adapation considers.

If the system adapts relatively rapidly to short-term changes in patterns; then the question of resetting to defaults is probably completely irrelevent. On the other hand if the system had a long memory and therefore a slow adjustment rate to current driving patterns then it might be a more interesting hypothetical.

In another thread; someone hypothesized that different behavior of a loaner CX-9 could be attributed to the way it had been driven. That begs the same question; how hard is it to overcome the memory in a CX-9.

Definitely sounds pretty techy.

-Jeff

My experience is that it takes about 2-3 days depending on the mileage to completely adapt to a new driving style. If my wife takes my CX-7 for one day it usually makes no difference. If she has it for 3 or more days it turns into a slug. It takes about 2 days of me flooring it every chance I get to reprogram to my liking. To reset manually simply unhook the negative cable on the battery for a couple of hours and every thing will goto default and it then adapts much quicker.

Disagree. Our 9 adapts quickly. After a week of my wife driving it, it's a dog. Within a few quick starts it knows what I want from it and is much quicker. It's not time or miles based, it's how regularly you accelerate and drive a certain way. If I take off hard once, but then drive conservatively, it doesn't raise the shift points. So it's very quick to adapt back.

I'd never reset the computer just to temporarily reset the performance. You're resetting everything, including altitude, pressure, temperature, etc. Then your car will have to readjust to everything. If you're looking for it to perform a certain way, just drive like that. It's isn't just the tranaxle, that adapts, either. The engine also does.

Last edited:
The CX-7 seems to take longer to adapt. I'll take your word that the 9 adapts that quick.

Again, it all depends on how, and where, you drive. I was telling a coworker how well the 9 performs, and finally got a chance to show him. I picked up the car from my wife's work and we headed out to inspect a job. Because there were few stops, and almost all 45mph and lower speed limits, it took a lot longer to get the car to adapt. In fact, it never did adjust all the way to my style of driving. It still performed better then he expected a car like this to, and even he noticed it increasing the acceleration on the way back.

The route was about 30 miles and took an hour round trip. After work we ran errands and the 9 became even quicker off the line.

It's also possible the CX7 is programmed to stay more like a sports car, since that's how they market it. But I don't know . It's frustrating either way after the wife drives it. Sluuuuug.(drive)

Back