auto trans fluid change at what mileage?

The dealer asked my friend to change it on his Mazda 3 at just over 30,000 KMS. That's about 18-20,000 miles. Is this too soon? The dealer said it was dirty. But is there a way to check this fluid to see if it's dirty?

interesting. well I have 30k miles now, and am driving to DC (7 hour trip) in April, so I'll probably take it in and have them change it and check the brakes while it's there.

maybe I'll have the noisy sway bar bushings fixed too.

30000K is too soon in my opinion. I would change tranny oil at around 80000-100000K. Dealers normally trying to get you all their services even if you really don't need one.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

30K km is too soon, but I don't think 30K miles is. But if your fluid is already dirty at 18-20k miles, I think you have bigger things to worry about than when to change the fluid.

Pull your dipstick, wipe with a clean paper towel.

Examine your paper towel, what color is your fluid?

Fluid should be a nice clear ruby red, not purple, red-brown, brown or black.

There is no change interval listed in the manual. My experience with the 4spd auto leads me to believe that 30k miles is a good interval to use.

thanks again for everyone's input. I dropped car off today for auto trans fluid change, sway bar bushing fix (been driving me nuts for two years), and to see if they can find a new noise near the base of the windshield. It's intermittent so I'm not hopeful about that one.

I really hope they fix the sway bar bushing moan. Makes the car sound like an old jalopy.

they kept the car overnight to get in rear bushings and front control arms too. Going to pick it up now. hope it's quiet.

oh ya, had the tranny flushed too.

Back