Used oil filter pics...

Jetmech

Used oil filter pics...updated w/Motorcraft pics

Well did an oil change today on the 5 and have to admit that the canister/cartridge housing is a pain compared to what I am used to which would be spin on filters.

Regardless the last time I had the oil changed was at Walmart because I was in a rush so they use the fram cartridge and here are the pics. Looks like the filter twisted but I'm assuming it kept its seal. Anybody have any experience like this with the mazda filter?

(drinks)

Last edited:
Oil that was used was a pennzoil bulk 5w20 for a 5000 km oci. Just used Motorcraft 2.3L filter and switched to a synthetic 5w20. Will update that filter when it is changed...

Last edited:
I should have but I didn't as I was losing sunlight and wanted to get back in the house. Might do later in the week...

That filter looks a bit "sludgy" to me. Never liked Penzoil. SYnthetic should serve you well. I doubt you'll need to change your oil for another 10k miles (16k km).

Looks like the filter twisted but I'm assuming it kept its seal. Anybody have any experience like this with the mazda filter?

This happens with Fram-made, Wix-made, and Purolator-made filter cartridges according to my experience. I have not used the Frams myself, but have seen these kinds of pics of them. I have used both Wix and Purolator filters in our 5 and had this happen. I've also seen pics from other folks of this with both Wix and Purolator.

I've never had this happen with a Mazda filter. On my own vehicle, I have not been able to detect a definite compromise of the filter media when this happens, but it makes me a bit nervous. That's why I've stuck with the Mazda filters the past few changes, though I did throw in a "surplus" Purolator this last time just to use it up.

I'd be interested to see whether the Motorcraft-branded filters from the evil empire do this, too? I'm skeptical as to whether those filters are actually the identical units one gets from Ford and/or Mazda. I've wondered whether they're just licensing the brand name but using their own or a different set of specifications for the filter's construction. That's how it is with the Mopar filters one sees in the evil empire; they're not what you get from a Chrysler dealer, they're just the brand name on a box with a very different-spec filter inside.

I have some theory on how it can happen

maybe
1. The filter is physically longer in length than the original.
2. The material maybe of the kind that expands big time when wet with oil.
3. The seal was not lubricated enough so that when cover was installed friction grabbed one end of the filter causing twisting near the end of the tightening process.
4. or there is a missing spacer.

#1 appears to me to be the culprit, but friction might be it. Just odd how apparently ALL of the aftermarket filters available do this, but the Mazda OEMs don't. Shouldn't be that tough to make one dimensionally correct and have the end caps made of a material with the right coefficient of friction. :shrug:

I need to upload it, but I snapped a pic of the Wix I just pulled off the wife's car. No twist. I did the fram once and it came out looking like the pic above.

Thanks pics would be appreciated.

Just wondering if we used some oil and lubed the top and bottom of the cartridge before inserting would it alleviate twisting or if physical size is the issue.

Hopefully the DIYers can keep updating the pics and keep the thread alive.

Cheers

# Just odd how apparently ALL of the aftermarket filters available do this, but the Mazda OEMs don't.

My OEM Mazda filters have been doing this lately, never used to but the last several oil changes have resulted in the twisted filter like the post above.

You're kidding! You've seen this with the Mazda parts, too? And the same ones didn't do it for you before, but are now? That's disappointing. I've only tried Wix-made, Purolator-made, and OEM Mazda, plus I've seen various pics of Fram-made filters. Never seen the Mazda ones do it before. Well, so much for that advantage to OEM filters...

there is a 'how to' for oil filter change in the mazda3 forum.

here is the picture of how it is supposed to look when you remove the filter.

Mazda5oilchange031Medium.jpg

If the rubber seal is smaller in diameter, this can twist the filter. Or if you overtighten the housing.

If the filter is not perfectly 'perpendicular' to the mating surface it could twist the filter as the cover is tightened.

In anycase, I don't think it will cause any problem. the liquid will flow through the lowest resistance which would be the larger filter surface.

No conversion kit...already asked my buddy that works at Mazda. MZ5 have a cooler built on the filter housing and the only spin on filter housing that would bolt up to our blocks are from the last gen MZ6 which do not have a cooler built into it....sorry!

Filter relocation

I wonder if you could do a filter relocation with an adapter that replaced the cartridge. I don't have my 5 yet but it will be something to check out.

Sure.

Is there such a thing as an 'adapter that replaced the cartridge?'

The conversion to spin-on is pretty simple, but as was said, you may lose your oil cooler (that's the trouble I thought I ran into when I was looking at parts a year or two ago).

Have folks here looked at the Ford parts bin? Should be interchangeable w/Mazda for this kind of thing.

Sure.

Is there such a thing as an 'adapter that replaced the cartridge?'

The conversion to spin-on is pretty simple, but as was said, you may lose your oil cooler (that's the trouble I thought I ran into when I was looking at parts a year or two ago).

Have folks here looked at the Ford parts bin? Should be interchangeable w/Mazda for this kind of thing.

In the Workshop manual, it is printed in bold letters the torque specs for the
filter cover, and the drain plug.. Maybe this is all that is needed to
make sure the filter element is not twisted during install.

I work for a parts department, the fiter housing on a 2005-2007 Ford Escape takes the regular spin on filter and seems to require the oil cooler as well, we did not have one in stock so I will have to look into it. Or street unit dot com sells a conversion kit for engines with a cooler.

Last edited:
I work for a parts department, the fiter housing on a 2005-2007 Ford Escape takes the regular spin on filter and seems to require the oil cooler as well, we did not have one in stock so I will have to look into it. Or street unit dot com sells a conversion kit for engines with a cooler.

Davicho - got an update? (attn)

Back