2004 Mazda 3 questions

Texaus

I'm hoping I can get some help here. My 2004 3 has some issues and I am just outside of warranty.

Symptoms: Engine warning light on. Very low speed rough idle. Car runs great when at speed. Idle problems improve when I shift to nuetral at stop. Car starts immediatly most of time. Only have a starting problem immediatly after getting fuel - takes 10-20 seconds of cranking until finally starts.

I have not gotten codes yet, will do that soon and update thread. Was wondering idf any similar problems have been experienced. I've done some searching and found a possibility: Evap. Purge Solenoid stuck open. I removed hose leading to part and could feel no suction, so I do not believe this is my problem (there would be suction id stuck open, correct?). Also saw interesting thread on cleaning EGR on a protege - Does 3 have this and should I give it a try? Any other suggestions? Thanks alot!

Just got back from autozone...

-P2187 System too lean at idle bank 1
-P0128 Coolant temp is always too low
-P0455 EVAP large leak detected

Bought some MAF cleaner and out to do some cleaning now.

Check the 5 wires leading to the plug of your MAF sensor. Sounds like the problem I had when one of the wires broke on my 3. If that isn't the case, then pull off the plug to the MAF and check for moisture/corrosion inside the plug (happened to me when the Goodyear tire/service tech hosed down my engine after flushing the radiator of my 3). In both instances my car did exactly what your's is doing--rough idle, runs fine at speed (Oh, check for blackened exhaust tip--running really rich), and stalling when coming to stop.

Hope this isn't the case (b**** to fix!) but it something to check. Good luck!

Well, I cleaned MAF really well. Put new plugs in and also did some of the suggestions from Stage 1 Mods thread: TB ground, removed resonator.

I disconnected battery and reset engine light. I drove car about 10 miles. Wow, love the new sound! I still have an extemly low idle when at stop and car is in drive. Put car in nuetral and idle kicks up a bit and car smoothes out perfect. Engine light did not come back on - yet. I know this idle is not normal, any other ideas?

I will check wires leading to MAF for problems. Connection to MAF is clean and dry as I just cleaned them.

Does the 2004 Mazda 3 2.3 havea n EGR I can clean? I do not see one and can find no replacement one so I'm assuming I don't have one, but would like to have confirmation.

the coolent temp to low could be a bad thermostat (stuck open) do you have good heat? if it is the thermastat it could be the issue with your idle as well if its never getting to operating temp...

as far as egr valve you don't have one you have a purge selonoid valve though and those were notorious for going bad on the 04 3's i changed mine and i had a lot of the same problems you are describing but i didn't have a coolent issue i would look into that first the psv is around 100$ from one of the discount oem providers on the forum and probably close to 200 from the dealer. its easy to change so its not a problem to do it yourself took me like 20 minutes... and most of that was getting all my tools out to realize i really didn't need them.

Well, CEL came on again. I will get codes again and see if same. I'm probably going to just change the purge solenoid and see what happens. Can anyone confirm that that part might be busted even though I feel no vacum when I disconnect hose while engine is at idle. Seems to me that if it was stuck open I would feel suction.

when mine was bad if i disconnected it while the engine was running it would stall the car... if you have the same colant issue i would be more apt to look into your thermostat...

Back