Anybody know how to clean fuel injectors?

simonnyc

I think it's about time for me to get the fuel injectors cleaned out. It'll cost $120 if I take it to the dealer. Is this something that a person can do themselves or is something like this better left to the professionals?

Has anybody cleaned their fuel injectors by themselves?

Other than running seafoam in your tank...injectors usually last the life of an unmodified car. Not to say there may not be an issue with one of them. Are there any problems with idle or cruising?

My car shakes a little when idle. The main reason i feel like i should get them cleaned is the last time i got my oil changed (~3 months ago), the service technician said i should probably get my fuel injectors cleaned at my next visit.

The oil change guy is just trying to make a buck. I have never had to anything other than run some fuel injector cleaner (seafoam from walmart or any autoparts) through the tank. There is a how-to just look up "seafoam how-to"

Injectors do not need to be cleaned (especially in a car as new as yours) unless some type of foreign matter has been introduced or you have extremely high mileage.

The seafoam may help somewhat, but if you have a stuble at idle, it's more likely an ignition issue, not a fuel issue. You might try changing your sparkplugs. Not sure how easy it is to swap them out on a 5 (Haven't looked yet), but I would suggust you stay with the same brand/model spark plug. A trained eye can tell if one of the plugs has been misfiring.

My car shakes a little when idle. The main reason i feel like i should get them cleaned is the last time i got my oil changed (~3 months ago), the service technician said i should probably get my fuel injectors cleaned at my next visit.

I'd suspect motor mounts long before injectors. If ever.

Mine shakes a bit at idle also. Why is this a concern?

I'd suspect motor mounts long before injectors. If ever.

Mine shakes a bit at idle also. Why is this a concern?

My thoughts exactly!(iagree)

Also there is a TSB to fix cowl gasket, which prevents water from pooling on top of the spark plugs/wires during rain.

For injector cleaner, can't really go wrong with TECHRON injector cleaner.

Inspect one of your motor mounts. The easiest one to inspect, is the one that is on the passenger side of the engine bay.

The motor mounts are not solid, they are a rubber bladder with oil interior. When the mount blows, the oil will be easy to spot under the motor mount. Also you can press on the rubber top of the mount, if it feels solid, you are ok, if it feels floppy the fluid has leaked out.

Here is a pic of an aftermarket motor mount from "king57721", while not OEM, it shows you what area to look at.
IMG_2255.jpg
king57721

Last edited:
The oil change guy is just trying to make a buck. I have never had to anything other than run some fuel injector cleaner (seafoam from walmart or any autoparts) through the tank. There is a how-to just look up "seafoam how-to"

I just got the same BS from my dealer's service guy - $130 for injector cleaning on a 29k mile car?!? I don't think so. Techron for me.

Be advised, seafoam through the vacuum lines doesn't have anything to do with the injectors.

As has been said, Techron is actually an effective yet non-harmful injector cleaner. So is Red Line's SI-1, PF Plus from Lube Control, and Bio Plus from Renewable Lube.

If you have lots of miles or have reason to suspect an injector pattern problem that a dose of one of the above doesn't fix, you can have your injectors ultrasonically cleaned (and/or rebuilt) by a professional injector shop. It'll get things perfect and the good shops will pattern the injectors before and after. If the patterning shows all OK before they start, they don't do anything and your bill is much smaller than expected. This avenue is vastly superior to the dealer option in every way.

Latest posts

Back