quiet performance exhaust?

2003proes

:
2003 Mazda Protege ES
I am looking for a quiet performance upgrade to replace the exhaust on my Mazda 5. Is there such thing or will I have to go the custom route?

Quiet needs restriction, and restriction will not help performance...

Venom, what's a system like this cost? If you get it professionally installed?

Personally I don't think that's very loud at all, in fact I'd bet my 11 month old would actually sleep better with the subtle hummmmmm.

Haha, just saw the other thread again. $475 installed. That's actually about $200 less than what I expected. Especially considering that it's partially a custom fit.

Quiet needs restriction, and restriction will not help performance...

Not true at all.

One of the quick & easy tricks in the "old days" was to buy an OEM-type muffler for a 426 hemi, 440 six pack, 454, etc. and install it in your 4-banger or small 6. You'd get outstanding flow and near silence. Only issue was you may not have room under the car for the muffler that was likely half the size of your car! :)

Anyway, the point is that if you can find a muffler intended for a big, high-power engine and find a way to make it fit, you may have just what you're looking for. May or may not be worth the trial-and-error to you, though.

Not true at all.

One of the quick & easy tricks in the "old days" was to buy an OEM-type muffler for a 426 hemi, 440 six pack, 454, etc. and install it in your 4-banger or small 6. You'd get outstanding flow and near silence. Only issue was you may not have room under the car for the muffler that was likely half the size of your car! :)

Anyway, the point is that if you can find a muffler intended for a big, high-power engine and find a way to make it fit, you may have just what you're looking for. May or may not be worth the trial-and-error to you, though.

Agreed power and sound are not always linked. Good system design can do both, but most people want it to sound bad ass even if it's not.

I agree! I wanted a nice subtle sounding system and went with a Sebring Tunning repackable tip that is about 16" long and about 4.5" in diameter straight through design, just because it looked bad ass and quite frankly because there are not that many "mufflers" out there that fit in the cramped space where the stock muffler goes. This one looks awesome and fits like a glove too, but it is too load for my liking, perhaps because my MZ5 is a auto, maybe a manual trans wount be so bad. BTW I kept everything stock and had a local muffler shop cut my stock muffler and weld on the Sebring muffler. Needless to say a week later it came off and now it is sitting in my garage collecting dust and I am out $120.00

If anyone is interested I will let it go for $40.00 USD plus shipping, hangers are still on it so it is "practically" a direct fit to any year MZ5. Just cut stock muffle off and weld it.

Back