intermittent stuck in park

hybrid_88

:
Yellow Mazda Protege5
Hey, new to the Mazda 3. I've done the search thing and can't come up with anyone else having the problem I'm having. My 05 Mazda 3 auto will intermittently stick in park. This usually happens upon starting the vehicle. Doesn't matter if it's a cold start up or starting it after it's been running. Doesn't do it all the time. And I can't come up with any particular cure. Restarting sometimes helps. Turning the steering wheel lock to lock sometimes helps. Rocking the car back and forth while in park sometimes helps. Or it's none of the above and the damn thing just has a mind of its own. It's very frustrating when it happens. Is there some kind of safety feature gone haywire on this thing? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

clean the shifter linkage where it connects to the transmission, its common. but some lubrication on it before you reassemble it.

it seems stupid but its a common complaint at my dealership. i actaully had 2 cars in today with a "stuck in park" complaint.

if you need any guidance just shoot me a message. its straight forward though. remove the lower sheild, remove the clip on the shift cable, hit the linkage end with a steel wheel, then put some sort of mild grease on it. re attach the cable and try it out before you put everything back.

Back