Motorcraft Oil Filters (Wal-mart)

Jetmech

Anybody tried these filters from Walmart yet and have you been happy with them. Picked them up in a Florida location for like $3.67 each. Figured would bring a few home to try on the 2.3 engine.

Cheers (friday)

Last edited:
As long as they are Genuine Motorcraft FL-2017 filters than you will be fine. It is the same ones we use on Fusions, Hybrid Escapes, etc..... Yeah, I work at a Ford Dealership (yes)

As long as they are Genuine Motorcraft FL-2017 filters than you will be fine. It is the same ones we use on Fusions, Hybrid Escapes, etc..... Yeah, I work at a Ford Dealership (yes)

Any hints on how much they sell at the Ford dealership where you work?

Thanks

(canada)

Any hints on how much they sell at the Ford dealership where you work?

Thanks

Regarding comparing too Mazda filters I'm not sure what the Mazda oem even looks like. I've read that the Motorcraft filters are prety decent and to buy the Mazda in Canada costs around $10 or more so this would be alittle cheaper after converting back to our surreny from US$.

(canada)

I could be wrong but I thought those Ford/Mazda oil filters are exactly the same.

I would imagine they are exactly the same, but having never seen a Mazda filter, wouldn't know for sure. Typically, Ford will only use one manufacturer to make all their filters. And since Ford owns a good portion of Mazda, I would assume they are one and the same as far as filters go.

The inner plastic "cage" does not come with the filter, as your picture indicates. It is intended to be reused. Photobuckets are blocked for me, so I don't know what the filters at the top of the thread look like. Are they supplying a new plastic cage w/every new filter?

Yes new plastic cage with every filter...

(cheers)(cheers)

Yes new plastic cage with every filter...

(cheers)(cheers)

What's a big plastic cage supposed to stop from entering the engine? The only thing I can come up with are large screws, rocks, bolts, small children....etc...

Doesn't look like something necessary IMO

My guess is that its there to keep the filter from distorting in the center especially if you put it in off center or the pick up that the filter slides onto can damage the inside of filter so the cage protects the inside part of the filter. My best guess but could be wrong...

(drinks)

Last edited:
You are correct; the cage provides support for the filter media against crushing/collapsing inwards. Spin-on filters have them, too. When you look down the center hole of a spin-on filter, there's a cage/screen in there to support the media. It's just made of metal in a spin-on.

I wonder whether these Motorcrafts are identical in all respects to what one purchases @ a Ford dealership, or whether it's just a name the way the "Mopar" filters at the evil empire are? Anyway, I'd try one of these Motorcraft filters.

When you change the oil next time, look at the filter and see whether it appears to have slightly twisted/crushed, will you? I've found that NAPA/Wix and Purolators both do that. The OEM Mazda filters don't. I've never been able to see obviously compromised media on account of the crush/twist, but it's slightly bothersome.

Latest posts

Back