How to: Check your brakes

pretty simple stuff but i figured since there was an oil change how-to (and that i was bored today) a simple brake check how-to should be okay

tools needed:
-hydraulic jack (or a lift if you're rich)
-jack stands
-torque wrench
-1/4'' breaker bar (good practice to not use a torque wrench as a breaker bar)
-21mm socket, 3'' socket extension (so you can keep distance between the car and torque wrench)
-tire depth gauge

make sure you break the lug nuts free first with the breaker bar and 21mm socket on each wheel, and THEN lift the vehicle in the air. jack up one side, place stands underneath, and then the other side. make sure the tires are completely off the ground, remove nuts, then remove wheels

visually inspect the rotors. they should be relatively smooth with uniform color. if there is any dark spotting your rotor has been burnt. this happens when you use the brakes too hard for long periods without cooling down, or if you ride the brakes like an old person. mine looked just fine

grab the tire depth gauge to measure your pad thickness. the blue part is what you want to measure:

i find it best to extend the gauge, touch the rotor with the tip, and push it until the base of the tool (in red) is flush with the base of the pad.

just do a visual of the inner pad through the viewing window on the caliper since using the gauge would be difficult. again the pad is in blue

my measurements were 12/32'' in the fronts, and 13/32'' in the rear with 13,000 miles on the odometer. the minimum pad thickness is 2/32'' before replacement. having read some posts about changing pads at 20k miles got me worried until i actually looked at them today, i don't know what those other guys are doing but they're certainly going through pads more than they need to.

put the wheels back on and hand tighten the nuts. give the wheels a good strong jiggle to make sure it's flat against the disk plate while tightening. then set the car down, and grab the torque wrench.

lug nut torque specs are 65-86 ft/lbs. i set mine to 85 cuz it was cold outside and the car had been sitting for a while so all the metal components were cold as well. don't forget the torque pattern:

checking your own brakes isn't really manditory, but if you rotate your own tires you may as well do it while your wheels are off. i needed to rotate, and i had the car up in the air anyway cuz i did an oil change as well.

Nice write up man, the blue highlighting really helps out. The first picture is super ghetto!

Should have thrown a layer of paint on those calipers while you were at it......:)

Thanks for this. Now that I'm getting more comfortable working on mine, I may do more brake work in the future. Want to paint the calipers, be able to change my own pads. I know this involves more than the average job, bleeding lines, etc. This is a good step in the right direction.

Excellent. Props for also going over proper lug torquing in a star pattern. Not enough people do it correctly.

Thanks, great write up. Very thorough, I love write ups with highlighting for the mechanically not so inclined like me. =)

What is the depth of a new brake pad?

Thanks, great write up. Very thorough, I love write ups with highlighting for the mechanically not so inclined like me. =)

What is the depth of a new brake pad?

can't say for sure what a new pad starts at. it would be good information though so you can see when you can expect to get some new pads.

but really they're just like tires, you only really care about how much is left on them as opposed to how much you start with (unless you're talking about used tires)

Hey im curious to know what part of the car you put your jack so you could use the stands on the designated jack points...sounds silly but my Vw had very few spots that i could use without bending the metal.

Hey im curious to know what part of the car you put your jack so you could use the stands on the designated jack points...sounds silly but my Vw had very few spots that i could use without bending the metal.

i used the pinch weld between the 2 jack points on both sides. i know it's not the best idea cuz they bent a little bit from the weight, but there really isn't a better way to do it. and the bend isn't that serious as to cause any big amount of damage

Any write ups on brake fluid change on the MS3?

don't think so....but it shouldn't be any different than doing any other car. it's easiest with 2 ppl if you don't have any special tools to do it by yourself. just make sure when you work with brake fluid ABSOLUTELY NONE GETS ON THE PAINT

untitled_4.bmp (650 KB)

i put my jack under the yellow arrow, and after the tires on that side are off the ground i put the jack stands under the pinch welds (small indents near the tires indicated by the blue arrows) then let the car down onto the stands slowly

my measurements were 12/32'' in the fronts, and 13/32'' in the rear with 13,000 miles on the odometer. the minimum pad thickness is 2/32'' before replacement. having read some posts about changing pads at 20k miles got me worried until i actually looked at them today, i don't know what those other guys are doing but they're certainly going through pads more than they need to.

update....i now have a hair under 21,000 miles and i rotated the tires and checked the brake pads again. now i have 9 and 10/32'' in the front and 11 and 12/32'' in the rear. so after 8,000 miles i used about 2-3/32'' in the fronts (not too worried about the rears cuz they'll outlast the fronts anyway).

so i guess roughly i go through 1/32'' every 3,000 miles or so on the fronts. so i think i should have at least another 20,000 miles left on the front pads, and probably won't replace the rear pads until i change the fronts twice.

im interested to see if anyone else has checked their pad usage like i have, i'd like to see where i stand against others. i realize some of you like your autoXing so you eat pads quick. i do average driving, mostly city, and i engine brake a lot of the time too

update....i now have a hair under 21,000 miles and i rotated the tires and checked the brake pads again. now i have 9 and 10/32'' in the front and 11 and 12/32'' in the rear. so after 8,000 miles i used about 2-3/32'' in the fronts (not too worried about the rears cuz they'll outlast the fronts anyway).

so i guess roughly i go through 1/32'' every 3,000 miles or so on the fronts. so i think i should have at least another 20,000 miles left on the front pads, and probably won't replace the rear pads until i change the fronts twice.

im interested to see if anyone else has checked their pad usage like i have, i'd like to see where i stand against others. i realize some of you like your autoXing so you eat pads quick. i do average driving, mostly city, and i engine brake a lot of the time too

I changed my front pads today at ~37k miles. No autox or the sort, just spirited driving here and there. Back pads still have atleast 25% left so I let them be. Front pads were almost down to metal.

Back