Rusty Exaust Tips

TylerZ

I've only had my CX-9 about 3 months and I already have rust forming on the exhaust tips (the black part, not the chrome) - what'sup with that?

Anyone have any suggestions for keeping the rust away?

I live in dry-ass Idaho, no salt H20 anywhere - just kinda pyst about the rusting tailpipes on my sweet ride . . .

Mine are also show signs of surface rust on the black portions of the exhaust tips. Do you drive short distances where the car doesn't come up to operating temperature. That is my theory because my wife drives the CX-9 mostly in the city and for very short distances (about 1 mile) and the condensation from the exhaust is what is causing the rust.

The car's typically warmed up -minimum 5 mile trips.

Don't think it's the welds - it's the black inner portion of the exhaut tips - i'll see if I can get a picture to show you

Just as a "Rule of thumb"

Any trip less than 30 minutes driving time (from cold), will leave moisture in the exhaust, causing rust throughout.
The tip of the exhaust is the coldest part and therefore the last to dry out.
Some cars are worse than others, and different weather conditions also play a huge factor, its all about the amount of condensation produced as to how long it needs to dry out.

Design?

So it's a design issue, rather than defective equipment? All I know is that the Ford Edge tips aren't rusty, the Saturn Outlook tips aren't rusty, the Acura MDX tips aren't rusty -

is there a fix or treatment that anyone can recommend?

we have none if this and most of the driving is a 5 minute trip to and from work. Not in snow, ice, rain, etc.

Have you washed the car with anything caustic? Maybe the paint is eaten through.

It's the steel exhaust pipe

No caustic soap - Meguiar's car wash soap or Dawn

I can see where the steel pipe is rusting and it's running down the black flared tip muzzle - I took a little 4X steel wool to one of them tonite and the rust comes right off the black tip muzzle. Need to clean it up real well and seal it with some flat black enamel, I suppose. H20 on the tip - causes the rust.

Make sure its high heat paint. BBQ paint is good. Still don't know why a few would have this unless you eroded the factory paint. We've had plenty of moisture in the tips, including packed snow. In fact, I make a point to wash out the tips anytime they are dirty.

I'd avoid dish soap. It has chemicals in it that car washes don't that can strip coatings. I only use Mr Clean soap. Great stuff, and leaves a polymer film on the entire vehicle.

I just noticed by exhaust tips are rusting too and I have only had it two months! I do a lot of short distance driving and it has been exposed to the cold and road salt.

I have a discoloration on the inside of the exhaust pipes. I haven't had the chance to get out and try to clean it yet. Hopefully it won't be too bad, but how many people bend down and comment on your tailpipes?

Just like with the engine, the best way to prevent premature degradation is to regularly rinse everything off. I always wash off the engine and undercarriage, including the exhaust tips with water. Avoids rust and corrosion, and you belts and hoses will last a lot longer too. Dirt and salt will eat through anything if you let it.

Back