Heater/AC Vents

TylerZ

Hi folks - long time lurker, first time poster.
Not really sure if this is the right forum within the family, but it's the closest I could find.

Anyway - I have a question . . ..

I have an 08 Touring AWD CX-9. On the center console, pointing rearward toward the 2nd row seats are some adjustable vents (just above the 2nd row zone Heater/AC controls) - it's winter now here in Idaho so we're cranking the heat quite a bit. The wife had cause to ride in the 2nd row the other nite and she noticed that the upper vents on the center console don't throw any heat - there's a lower vent that was cranking just fine, but the upper ones did't appear to be affected by any of the adjustments I made to the heating system.

I checked the manual and it's not clear on whether these vents should push hot air or not. Personally, I suspect they run AC (cool) air, but I haven't had time or inclination to check on that since it's friggin' cold already. Thought I'd just drop a quick post the xperts and see what you had to say.

Do those "top" vents push hot air in your CX-9's?

Thanks much in advance - Tyler

Hi folks - long time lurker, first time poster.
Not really sure if this is the right forum within the family, but it's the closest I could find.

Anyway - I have a question . . ..

I have an 08 Touring AWD CX-9. On the center console, pointing rearward toward the 2nd row seats are some adjustable vents (just above the 2nd row zone Heater/AC controls) - it's winter now here in Idaho so we're cranking the heat quite a bit. The wife had cause to ride in the 2nd row the other nite and she noticed that the upper vents on the center console don't throw any heat - there's a lower vent that was cranking just fine, but the upper ones did't appear to be affected by any of the adjustments I made to the heating system.

I checked the manual and it's not clear on whether these vents should push hot air or not. Personally, I suspect they run AC (cool) air, but I haven't had time or inclination to check on that since it's friggin' cold already. Thought I'd just drop a quick post the xperts and see what you had to say.

Do those "top" vents push hot air in your CX-9's?

Thanks much in advance - Tyler

No, there are floor vents for heat and those upper rear vents are for A/C only.

cccx9 was right.
In the manual, there is a drawing showing the flow of hot air vs cold air.
It shows that hot air flows out of floor vent (below 2nd row, there is vent for 3rd row)
and cold air out of top vents.

The system is operating correctly.

When the dial is turned to RED/Heat, the rear console will blow air from the lower vents. When the dial is turned to Blue/Cold, the console will blow the air from the upper vents on the console.

It's all based on physics.

Hot air rises.

Cold air sinks

I had the same discussion on another board....
http://www.mazdaforum.com/m_86701/tm.htm

Back