Transmission. Life-time fluid?

:
2022 CX-5 Turbo
CX-9 has Japanese Aisin transmission.
My question is that I failed to find transmission maintenance schedule in the manual.
Does the Aisin transmission has the life-time fluid?

If yes, is there a way to change fluid?
(i.e. drain holes, seal kit, etc.)

I personally don't believe in "life-time fluid" (learned my lesson from my '98 BMW 540 ... long story).

Based on my research on the web, it seems like Aisin transmissions are lifetime fluid.
(used in Volvo and VW)
That means
- using magents at the floorpan to trap metal debris
- using expensive synthetic fluid ($$$$)

I worry about this issue because my previous '98 BMW 540iA has lifetime-fluid transmission. Lots of transmission failure before 100K. Check Volvo/BMW forums if you don't believe me. Initially, BMW dealers refused to drain/replace transmission fluid for owners (even if you want to pay!). Later on (a few years later), BMW saw many transmission failures started to show up at their dealerships, they instructed the dealerships to drain/replace transmissions (about $300-$400 parts+labor) whenever owners demand for it.
Anyway, every drain/replace only renew part of the total fluid since a big portion is still trapped inside torque converter (?). Therefore, owneres are supposed to do it every 30K miles to gradually dilute the old fluid with new one and also replace the seal and clean out the debris near the magnets.
Some sell a suction kit to suck fluid out as much as possible, but it is lots of DIY.
Dealers would not do that for you. (only drain and replace)
That is as far as I know.

CX9s are still relative new (1st year = 2007). If old BMW is any indication, we will start to see transmission failure in a couple years. I would strongly advise people to start changing their tranny fluid no later than 50K miles. I would do it every 30K miles. Demand your dealers to "drain and replace" the fluid. I have seen the fluid and the inside of a failed BMW transmission. The fluid was dirty and chipped metal fragments are on the floorpan. Not a pretty sight (at 55K miles of my friends' 325).

Anyway, if you intend to keep your CX9 for a long time, don't assume that your tranny would be worry-free and maintanence-free. No fluid can last more than 100K w/o degradation. A failed tranny will cost you $4000 and up. A drain and replace probably would only cost you $200 at Mazda dealers. I will ask them next time I am in.

I agree with you. In my mind, there is no such thing as "lifetime" fluid. Fluids begin to break down with temperature and pressure changes, not to mention the metal shavings and "debris" that collects over time.

I haven't checked the transmission for a drain plug yet but the drain and fill method works just fine. I have done that with my Aunt's '94 Nissan Altima where either I or the mechanic drained the tranny fluid at 20k mile intervals and it has worked for her. She still drives that car today and it has 186k miles without any tranny failures.

It may not be reasonable to suggest that because a 1998 BMW 'lifetime' auto transmisison had a high failure rate, so will a 2008 Aisin 'lifetime' auto transmisison. There will be SO MANY things that are different about these two units, not including their different operating parameters and 10 years of product development and manufacturing knowledge under the bridge.

Having said that, I'm also more comfortable knowing that the trans fluid is changed every 12 or 24 months. Good insurance I think.

Cheers,
TTubrag.

I haven't seen anything to suggest another fill method beyond pouring it down the dipstick tube. Our level is halfway between 'FULL' and 'LOW'. I can't find the specified JWS 3900 ATF anywhere in Arizona, but a dealer said T-IV is approved for use in the '9 and is what they have in bulk for service.

It may not be reasonable to suggest that because a 1998 BMW 'lifetime' auto transmisison had a high failure rate, so will a 2008 Aisin 'lifetime' auto transmisison. There will be SO MANY things that are different about these two units, not including their different operating parameters and 10 years of product development and manufacturing knowledge under the bridge.

True, but if you do a bit of search on google "Volvo Aisin transmission", you will see problems with the "life-time" transmission issue as bad as the BMW ones. BMW owners have long learned not to take it literally. My advice is to change yours at 50k/30k/30k intervel. Sure, if you plan to sell it before 60k, chances are yours will be ok. Let the next guy be sorrow.
When I sold my BMW, I told the guy specifically what to do about it. He appreciated it.

Just back from Mazda dealer today.
Asked them about the life-time transmission fluid.
They said they can "drain and replace" fluid ($6/qt) for $138.
I will be doing that at 30K miles.

Back