Is NOW the time for me to upgrade my suspension?

Katner

:
2008 Mazda5 Grand Touring
I've been debating upgrading my suspension for a while but I just started hearing a banging noise coming from the front right shock on heavy loads (big dips in the road or on heavy cornering) and it occurred to me that maybe I should keep my warranty while it lasts.

If I'm going to be having suspension repair issues, maybe I shouldn't be in a rush to void my coverage.

Search for TSB on suspension noise.

Specifically, what are you looking to upgrade?
Well I have been planning on just putting new springs on. I'm looking for a slightly firmer ride, less body roll, and overall a little more handling response. Some H&R's I thought would do the trick, but my guess is my stock struts would be even more likely to break on me with the more heavy duty springs. Not to mention I'll inevitably be driving it harder.

A tech at my local dealer says that Mazda5's are notorious for breaking suspension "links." Don't have a clue what that is but "notorious" to me sounds like this might not be a last visit to the shop for this issue.

I don't push my engine at all, but I'm really hard on the suspension and tires on any car that I own. I'm thinking that when I DO upgrade I'll need to put in aftermarket struts as well. But I don't know if I can wait that long to make this thing more fun to drive.

check your local mazda dlr about a buletin on your 5 they had a problem with the bushings. ihad my rears already replaced for free. also be careful with H&Rs ive read they have a tendency to sag in rear, instead get a set of tein s-tech springs or if your wanting a real setup get a set of coilovers for a ms3 they fit perfect and get a set of hotchkis sways. great setup from what ive found. hope this helps.

I'm curious to know how Bilstein HD for MZ3 will perform on MZ5. Factory MZ5 rear shocks are supposed to be monotube.

check your local mazda dlr about a buletin on your 5 they had a problem with the bushings. ihad my rears already replaced for free. also be careful with H&Rs ive read they have a tendency to sag in rear, instead get a set of tein s-tech springs or if your wanting a real setup get a set of coilovers for a ms3 they fit perfect and get a set of hotchkis sways. great setup from what ive found. hope this helps.
Thanks. I'm going to pop in there tomorrow and do that. I have a feeling they won't switch anything until the problem arises...cheap bastards.

I've actually given a lot of thought to going with coil-overs. If I didn't have an 11 month old baby I would for sure do that because that fits my driving style perfectly. I think a set of firmer springs is a good compromise for her needs and mine. She's gotta sleep in the car, and I've gotta have fun driving it. Besides, I'm going to buy a new car for myself this spring/early summer. And for that there will be no compromises.

And thanks for the tip on the H&R. I actually remember people around here having to put in camber plates to fix the sag issue. Tein's are the way to go.

BTW. Can anyone comment on how putting in new springs compares to just putting in the suspension from a Speed3? Or even just a Mazda3 GT?

Back