5 shock options

Kojack

:
2007 5 GT "thing 5"
I like the stance of my 5. just looking for better shocks that can take more that the stockers. also I am planning a swaybar upgrade for it as well.

whats available?

thanks

I think im going to go with KYB GR2s. should hold up better than the crappy stockers...and ad the cobb swaybars.

What About the Other End of the Spectrum?

I LOVE the sporty look of the 5, but in day-to-day driving, I'm looking to find ways to make the experience a little quieter and smoother. I don't need super-grippy performance, just safe handling. Would softer shocks help at all with taking some of the harsh edge out of the ride?

Try a set of high quality tires first. No need to go redo the suspension if tires will solve the problem.

I actually did do that - bought a set of General Altimax HP's back in Oct. Even "upsized" to the next size width to gain a small amount of sidewall for added flex. They do handle wet pavement better, and maybe there's a small hint of improvement in impact harshness, but the quietness that the manufacturer (and quite a few customer reviews) touted just isn't there. :-(

but the quietness that the manufacturer (and quite a few customer reviews) touted just isn't there. :-(

We all know what the manufacturer will claim, each of them claim the world with their tires no matter how little they cost, and how much they are better than others' tires.

The one thing to keep in mind with customer reviews is most of them are either rating one, original tire, and a brand new tire they just got. Not very objective, IMO. To put this in perspective, lets say your tires are worn down to the steel. They will be loud, bad, and handle like garbage. You g replace them with $86.00 tires. The first thing you'll notice is how much better they are than your "previous tires!" of course, they will be, because you're comparing brand new tires to worn down steel.

Take into account there will always be more reviews for cheaper products and the expectations will also be lower (since the price is less) anything that meets or exceeds the low standards is awesome, and anything that doesn't, well, they are cheap, so they're supposed to be terrible anyway.

I will say there are exceptions, of course, but generally, in all things, not just tires, you get what you pay for.

Back