Northern 5MT owners...

jandree22

:
2007 Mazda5
...does anyone ever have a sluggish clutch pedal when it's cold outside? In this latest cold streak, seems especially 20*F and below, for the first few times I hit the clutch, it's slow to spring back. I just have to shift slower for the first mile or two. Seems like it's not getting enough lubrication or whatever, smooth, but sluggish. After a tiny bit (10 or so clutches), whatever fluid must warm up and it's all nice and snappy again.

Does anyone else experience this? Anything to worry about?

Pretty much every manual car I've owned has had this problem in the winter ,including my current car an '08 Mazda5 .The last 3 days here in Ottawa the temp has been around -25C, so I pretty much do the same as you, just shift nice and slow for a few miles until the car is warmed up.I don't think it's anything to be concerned about !!!

Yup, the viscosity of the hydraulic fluid and oil goes down and makes everything sluggish at those temps, I've found the shifter really stiff too, for the same reason.
I noticed recently that in really cold weather I need to double clutch my first couple of shifts untill the oil in the transmission warms up a bit.
Whenever I start my car when it's that cold, I'll keep holding in the clutch for a good 10 or 20 seconds after startup in order for it settle in just a bit. You'll notice that when you release the clutch, the engine will have a hard time spinning the transmission (even though it's in neutral) because the oil is so cold and thick.
Like sneeez said, not to worry, just go easy on it until it's up to temp.

Last edited:
Back