Cold weather playing havoc with 5...

Jetmech

Drove home in the -21 c weather yesterday morning with no problems with the car and when I get in tonite the Brake light and ABS light are on. Drive about a km with the hand brake applied lightly and the brake light finally extinguished but the ABS is still illuminated. My 5 doesn't like the cold it seems...(headshake

Don't really have any cold weather complaints about the Mz5 - other than the stock Toyo's being lousy at getting out of Park even in a tiny snow bank - but they handle well enough once out moving on the road in snow. That and the infamous "cowl chatter" gets worse in the cold (still need to bring it into the dealer to resolve that.) All in all - I'm very happy with the Mz 5 in the cold and snow.

The abs lite and brake light are know gone as the weather warmed up abit. The next day the issues resolved themselves. I'm thinking the brake light could have been a little water in the brake fluid or in the connector and the abs light was because of the brake light. Anyways everything is good again and have to say very happy with the 5 so far other than getting the auto 4 speed vs the 5 speed manual my 6 had.

What year is your Mazda5? Brake fluid is hydroscopic which means is absorbs water right out of the air. If it's more than two years old, it's possible there's enough moisture in the lines that they froze. Just an idea that could be cold-weather related.

after reading a few posts about cold weather, I was a little concerned about the 5 and cold weather. So far its been better than expected, and the ride isn't that bad at temps as cold as -35. Mind you, I have softer winter tires with a higher profile - which is probably helping the ride at extreme temps.

Wouldn't mind a combination winter front/bug screen. Stuff like that is easy when a person has a ford truck, etc..they make everything for those common American trucks, vans, etc..

Back