Cargo Cover for Power Rear Hatch

My09CX-9

:
Mazda CX-9
Does anyone know whether there's an aftermarket cargo cover for the power rear hatch? It irks me so that there's not one available from Mazda ~ Thanks!

Seems odd that they didnt make a cover to fit the power gate. The interior panel seems almost identical at the height of the cover, so it should have been easy to make. Maybe Im wrong though. We just use the black terry bath sheet trick anyway. Hides the rear cargo without looking like we are hiding anything, and it stores a lot easier.

We just use the black terry bath sheet trick anyway. Hides the rear cargo without looking like we are hiding anything, and it stores a lot easier.

Hi,
New to the forum. Just what is this trick you speak of regarding the use of a terry bath sheet? Pix??

I just got my 08 CX9 about two weeks ago and see need for the cargo cover already but I am a little PO'd about having to shell out $200 clams for a cover that I feel should already be included (thats another discussion). Anyway, how does this thing work? I have the standard hatch....

Thanks,
SP

the problem with factory cargo covers is that they look exactly like they are hiding something. No one uses them to cover empty space, so anyone looking for booty will know you have something to hide. The other problem with covers is where to put them if you need to change the configuration of the seats for larger items

I prefer a black bath sheet. I spread it out over the back and from the outside you can't even see it. It makes the cargo area look empty. It also folds up into almost nothing.

the problem with factory cargo covers is that they look exactly like they are hiding something. No one uses them to cover empty space, so anyone looking for booty will know you have something to hide. The other problem with covers is where to put them if you need to change the configuration of the seats for larger items

Well, I'm not sure I agree with you on factory cargo covers because I pull mine closed ALL the time. However, I'd concede that it's a problem when you try to use the third row seats and find a place to store the cover!

I'm sure some keep them in place. But I'd assume most people like us are always changing the seats for different things, therefore leaving the cover off. That's why I like the towel idea. Sometimes the simplest idea works the best.

Got pix? I would like to see what you came up with....
Description please?? (scratch)

Never mind....I found a new stock cargo cover for $30 on Craigs List. Total score o matic.....never been used and matches the same color. (thumb)

Do you mind sharing who makes it and how does it fit? Thanks.

The cargo cover I purchased for a cheap price of $30 on Craigs List (internet free listing site for sale stuff) is made by Mazda and is OEM stock part. You can find one at any Mazda dealership in the accessories section just like it.

They are a compression fit (spring loaded) and fit into two little square tab-outs found on your sidewall panels just behind the 2nd row seating. It takes a small screw driver to pop off these cover plates; then the cross bar (which contails the cargo cover rolled up inside like a window shade) fits into these square tab-outs on the side panels and held into place by the compression spring. Very slick and appears to be very well made and beefy despite some others opinions. HOWEVER, the price Mazda asks for this cover is a JOKE to say the least (in the range of $225). Total rip-off.....I just got REALLY lucky and found one for sale that had never been used and the folks were in the military being shipped off to Quam and had to sell their CX9 a year eariler. I was just in the right place at the right time.

Last edited:
Nice you got a good deal, but that doesn't address using one with the power liftgate.

FYI - Never said it would. In one of my posts I was wondering how the owner made is own home made version. Then I found one used locally on-line. I never claimed to understand how the cargo covers work with the power-liftgate; only how they work with the standard liftgate.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread.....(shrug)

Last edited:
Back