Anyone in GTA thankful they got winter tires?

DoubleT

:
2008 Mazda GS, Silver Metallic
First time in 30 years of owning cars that I got winter tires this year. Now with this brutal snowy weather in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) I'm am soooooo thankful. Anyone else feel that way? I know it's a silly posting but for once in my life I finally did something right! (2thumbs)

Last edited:
Welcome to the fold. If you notice, only those who have driven a car in winter tires will agree with you. I still have friends who think it a waste of money.. They will argue that 'its in the driving'. You will see them driving real slow in winter.

I don't have a GTA, but I needed snows with a MT in my Sport. We get snow wind and ice along my 50 mile drive from here to Boulder. Not easy!

Last edited:
I just sold my Mazda6 with nice snows on it right before I picked up my 5 with all season Toyo Proxes and have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with their performance. Still getting a set of winters for the next season.

I don't have a GTA

GTA == Greater Toronto Area.

I don't get much higher than Denver, and I've been disappointed at how little snow we've gotten. We've had like two big for this year snow storms (tho small for the previous four years). So, like, two - three days I maybe needed snow tires, this year.

I attribute that to having gotten snow tires this year.

First time in 30 years of owning cars that I got winter tires this year. Now with this brutal snowy weather in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) I'm am soooooo thankful. Anyone else feel that way? I know it's a silly posting but for once in my life I finally did the something right! (2thumbs)

I am still saving up for my first set as well.....but by the time I get them, it would be spring already, or summer even. (smash)

First time in 30 years of owning cars that I got winter tires this year. Now with this brutal snowy weather in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) I'm am soooooo thankful. Anyone else feel that way? I know it's a silly posting but for once in my life I finally did the something right! (2thumbs)

I usually spend 2.5-3 hours on commute every day and I have been using winter tires in the past 10 years or so. Everyone I spoke with who have switched to winter tires agree that once you've switched, you won't be going back to all-season because you will then realize the differences they make and like one local auto journalist says, "all-season is no season". Yet, the latest survey indicates that more than 50% of the drivers in Ontario are not using winter tires and the main reason is not because they can't afford them or have no place to store the extra tires but because they think they are not necessary. So I guess for now Ontario won't follow Quebec and make them mandatory in winter seasons.

Yet, the latest survey indicates that more than 50% of the drivers in Ontario are not using winter tires and the main reason is not because they can't afford them or have no place to store the extra tires but because they think they are not necessary.
Yesterday on the 401 near the airport there must have been 4 separate accidents within a distance of 1 mile. Road conditions weren't that bad but maybe a little slippery with some snow dusting. I had absolutely no problem with my snow tires going a bit slower than the speed limit.
Saw several SUV's in the ditch this winter. Tell yah something?

Yesterday on the 401 near the airport there must have been 4 separate accidents within a distance of 1 mile. Road conditions weren't that bad but maybe a little slippery with some snow dusting. I had absolutely no problem with my snow tires going a bit slower than the speed limit.
Saw several SUV's in the ditch this winter. Tell yah something?

And you don't need me to tell you the accident this morning that completely shut down westbound 401 at Mavis. A pickup truck spun off on an icy section on the highway and hit a tractor-trailer backwards ...

One theory I have why SUVs usually line up the ditch along the Don Valley parkway in winter storms is the absence of winter tires. It is psychologically difficult to justify spending money for winter tires when the 'vehicle already has traction control'. :)

Driving home from pearson yesterday morning on the 401 west around the Dixie exit and I had a full size chevy doing donuts in front of me while he was sliding across 4 lanes of traffic. Real glad I had snows on and for that matter for the last 7 or 8 winters, always justified especially when it makes your summers last that much longer. (canada)

And you don't need me to tell you the accident this morning that completely shut down westbound 401 at Mavis. A pickup truck spun off on an icy section on the highway and hit a tractor-trailer backwards ...

From what I was told by one of our company drivers, the driver of the pick up died because of the smash-up.

Yesterday was certainly bad in terms road conditions. One guy was slowly turning left from Battleford into Erin Mills Pkwy and yet his rear drifted......very slippery indeed.

Shhhh. I'm from Canada. That was my sarcastic side coming out. (hand) Sorry... Didn't mean to appear like an idjut. (thumb)

I would be disappointed ahd I not been trekking to Boulder and the Springs. It has been pretty lame for snow this year; altough, my neighborhood has been terrible when it has.

GTA == Greater Toronto Area.

I don't get much higher than Denver, and I've been disappointed at how little snow we've gotten. We've had like two big for this year snow storms (tho small for the previous four years). So, like, two - three days I maybe needed snow tires, this year.

I attribute that to having gotten snow tires this year.

Last edited:
Back