Rear motor mount

AIMWO4

:
Mazda5 Sport 5-Speed
I thought somebody on here replaced the rear motor mount w/ an aftermarket brand.

Can't find the thread...

I started a thread about the rear mount once, but I replaced it under warranty with a new OEM mount. That one now feels floppy again, and the clutch chatter is back. I recently got a street unit mount, but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I'm too fat to get under the car that far!

I'm going to have a shop do it soon; I'm sick of the motor jumping around as soon as I start to let out the clutch. I'll post a review and let you know how the vibes are after I get it in.

The guys at SU say the 3 and 5 have the same mount.

I started a thread about the rear mount once, but I replaced it under warranty with a new OEM mount. That one now feels floppy again, and the clutch chatter is back. I recently got a street unit mount, but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I'm too fat to get under the car that far!

I'm going to have a shop do it soon; I'm sick of the motor jumping around as soon as I start to let out the clutch. I'll post a review and let you know how the vibes are after I get it in.

Last edited:
Finally Installed SU rear mount

Believe it or not, I had my dealer install my Street Unit rear motor mount today. They gave me back the OEM one to keep at mt request; it appears to be undamaged. This is not a surprise, since it was just replaced under warranty 6 months to a year ago.

Anyway, my reason to put in the SU mount was to see if I could tame some clutch shudder that I was having. This has been decreased significantly, but I can now tell with more certainty that my clutch is likely somewhat compromised. I will now try not to obsess about the clutch until it starts to slip or cause bad shifting (hopefully that will take some time).

OK, back on topic. Street Unit mount looked well built and came with nice instructions which I gave to the dealership when I dropped off my 5 (I'm sure they appreciated that). When I picked up the car, I had mentally prepared for some heavy vibes. It's good that I did; the vibrations were fairly intense and immediate. At a steady idle without AC, it's not too bad. Turn on the AC and it gets a little worse. A surprise to me is that the vibes spike when you just touch the throttle to bring the revs up a little for takeoff. If you really are worried that the vibrations would be too much for you, they probably will be. Of course, my mount was JUST installed, and everything I've read suggests that the vibes will mellow somewhat over time. I will let you all know. Make no mistake, though, this mount really changes the entire character of the car at engine speeds near idle. The engine is now very much "in your face" compared to the relatively complete isolation afforded by the OEM mount.

Now, I'll tell you about the positives. The vibration I mention above really only occurs at engine speeds below approximately 1200 - 1300 RPM. Clutch feel is improved, and the shudder is reduced to near zero. The drivetrain lash that could occur with less than perfect shifts, etc. is GONE. Throttle response seems much sharper with the motor held more securely in place. And what is harsh vibration at idle turns into a slightly elevated engine "presence" at more common operating speeds under load. This "presence" is actually pretty nice sounding, IMO. Steady state cruising is pretty much indistinguishable from stock, until you hit the gas and feel the instant response that you never had before (no, it won't make your car faster; it just FEELS that way).

I don't mean to write a book here, but I have to relay a quick story. When I got home from picking up the car, I warned my wife about the vibes before her first drive. When she got into the car and started it for the first time, I was peeking through the garage door so I could see her face; she wasn't looking at me. She started the car, and I saw her mouth move: OH MY GOD. I laughed out loud. The upside is, after she got back from running her errands, she said she didn't really mind the vibrations too much, because it was only bad at idle and takeoff. I had an aftermarket exhaust on a VW I used to own that drove her nuts at all times. I guess she was thinking the mount would be a constant source of misery for her!

Update

OK, I'm old. So is my wife. We couldn't tolerate the vibrations any more with the SU rear mount, so I put the OEM mount back in. Back to peace and quiet.

Don't consider this a bad review of the mount; I'm just not the intended customer for this mod. Again, the heavier vibrations are only near idle speed, and there are definite benefits as I mentioned in my prior post.

At the end of the day, for me, the benefits were not worth the level of vibration. So, the mount is out. Overall, Street Unit was very good to work with, and I would recommend them if you are considering any of their products.

Latest posts

Back