The A/C Shake

3Dogs

Every Mazda I have owned, including my new 2009 Mazda3 GT, has had this same issue: When the air conditioner kicks in, the engine shakes. What's the story? This never happened in any other car I owned, including ones with smaller 4 cylinders than the Mazda's. I remember a particular used car dealer in NJ who told me he would not buy or sell Mazdas because of that issue.

got a vid or something? never seen that...granted I have a MS3, but I did test drive regular 3's and didn't notice that. My old civic's were like that, but thats because AC requires torque...and sadly I had none ;)

never heard of this. never felt this. i'm a mazda tech and i have never come across this issue before. is it just at idle?

Mine does it as well, if the AC or defrost is on and I'm sitting at a stoplight long enough, I'll feel the whole car shudder as the compressor cuts off.

No, I don't have a video. Odd that all 3 Mazda's I've owned have done it. Yes, it's at idle, like when at a light, and the a/c compressor kicks in. It feels almost like a miss.

My Speed Protege had a noticeable shake when the compressor kicked on but that was because I had solid motor mounts. The 3's have wayyyyy too soft mounts so you can't really feel s*** but the engine will twitch when the A/C comes on. The speed 3 doesn't really do this but I know what you're saying about the regular 3.

But may I ask why you care? I've seen plenty of cars do it personally.

my msp shakes like hell to but like you said its the mounts, i dont get bothered by it its not that big of a deal to me, i never felt it in my friends 3 though

Back