NEED WINTERS - put it in snowbank yesterday - thoughts on 235/45 R17?

othercarasaab

:
'06 Sport with PEP
Hi all,

Short version of story:
Got a chance for a deal on 17"x7" 235/45R17 blizzaks with 40mm offset on rims. Will save me easily $300 from anything on TireRack, and they're nearly new tires.
Good idea, bad idea, any risk due to tire size? Any risk due to offset, for rubbing? overall tire hight would be near stock, width and offset would be quite different. Would wheel rub on caliper?

Long version of the story:
So yesterday on the way to church with the wife, sister, and two little kids in the 5, I put the 5 into the snowbank on the inside of a cloverleaf on-ramp, the back end came around on me. I didn't think the Toyos were that bad till then. A friendly local police officer and pushed it out, no tow needed, but I plowed a few feet with the front bumper.
We just bought our 5 a month ago (used, '06), so was hoping to make it till next year to buy a set of winters - cash flow.
I've got my wife driving this thing with our kids, so I want the thing to be safe, so now I'm thinking I'm getting tires as soon as I can, and spotted some on Craigslist....
So: ASA rims, 17"x7" with 40mm offset, and Blizzack 235/45 R17's on it. This is a wider tire than I was planning, but calculations says the size is about the same. Also, it's the right size rim for keeping the wheel for next set of winters after it.
The questions: Is that too wide? Do I risk rubbing? Is the difference in the offset (OE is 52.5mm *edit*) a problem? Am I asking for trouble with the wider tire in the winter? That is also an inch wider for rubber on the road...wheel well rubbing an issue?
I'm in Milwaukee, several snows, wife won't go out if it's 'bad' out. I'll drive it through a blizzard, but I'm comfortable with that prospect and know my limits, major thing is feel sturdy/confident for a typical suburban mom with 2 LITTLE kids - ie she can't carry both if the car got stuck. Mostly needed for the inch or 2 of snow that blows over the road. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited:
ideally you want to go narrower for winter tires which will cut through the snow better. with more rubber on the snow, there is a better chance to skid.

You need this link

Here is an easy answer...

Package is 3 mm (0.1'') closer to suspension/brakes components. Acceptable for most cars.

Fenders: Package will stick out 27 mm (1.1'') farther. Make sure that you have enough room under the fender. If not, consider narrower tires or higher offset.

Wheelwells: Will fill out the wheelwell by extra 3 mm. Almost no difference

And canadianexpress is correct.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Short version of story:
Got a chance for a deal on 17"x7" 235/45R17 blizzaks with 40mm offset on rims. Will save me easily $300 from anything on TireRack, and they're nearly new tires.
Good idea, bad idea, any risk due to tire size? Any risk due to offset, for rubbing? overall tire hight would be near stock, width and offset would be quite different. Would wheel rub on caliper?

Long version of the story:
So yesterday on the way to church with the wife, sister, and two little kids in the 5, I put the 5 into the snowbank on the inside of a cloverleaf on-ramp, the back end came around on me. I didn't think the Toyos were that bad till then. A friendly local police officer and pushed it out, no tow needed, but I plowed a few feet with the front bumper.
We just bought our 5 a month ago (used, '06), so was hoping to make it till next year to buy a set of winters - cash flow.
I've got my wife driving this thing with our kids, so I want the thing to be safe, so now I'm thinking I'm getting tires as soon as I can, and spotted some on Craigslist....
So: ASA rims, 17"x7" with 40mm offset, and Blizzack 235/45 R17's on it. This is a wider tire than I was planning, but calculations says the size is about the same. Also, it's the right size rim for keeping the wheel for next set of winters after it.
The questions: Is that too wide? Do I risk rubbing? Is the difference in the offset (OE is 52.5mm *edit*) a problem? Am I asking for trouble with the wider tire in the winter? That is also an inch wider for rubber on the road...wheel well rubbing an issue?
I'm in Milwaukee, several snows, wife won't go out if it's 'bad' out. I'll drive it through a blizzard, but I'm comfortable with that prospect and know my limits, major thing is feel sturdy/confident for a typical suburban mom with 2 LITTLE kids - ie she can't carry both if the car got stuck. Mostly needed for the inch or 2 of snow that blows over the road. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

How will the insurance deductible effect your cash flow?

Back