Rear Brake Pads

B16RacerN2NR

:
2006 Mazda 5
I'm looking for a 'how to' to change the rear pads on my 5.

I know how to do brakes but I cant take the rear pads out. The pad next to the caliper piston is attached to the piston itself. It's weird. I've never seen that before. The back of the pads have this thin metal clip like thing... I wish I had pictures...

Any help is appreciated :)

Are you talking about the clip on the caliper itself or the springs on the back of the brake pad? Both are removable and may just be stuck a little due to metal on metal pressure contact.

You should first remove spring clip that holds the brake pad inside the caliper with a plier. Then, remove the two hex bolts holding the caliper in place. After that, you can loosen the caliper from the mounting bracket. The brake pads can be easily removed with the caliper off. Compressing the brake piston is tricky if you don't have the right tools. You need to turn AND press in on the piston at the same time. It'll be a lot easier if you get a disc brake tool kit to do the piston compression. I was able to compress the brake piston with a set of pliers but it was a big pain.

the pads on the piston side have spring clips at the back of the pad which slide on and clips onto the piston itself

Back