Engine Bottom Shield Mod

07MZ5SA

:
2007 Mazda 5
Since it's a hassle to remove engine shield for oil change. Has anyone done any kind of modification to make life easier (other than longer OCI).

I'm thinking about cutting a hole for oil filter.

I just Changed my oil yesterday and I have to agree with you on the need. I had an older VW with a similar setup and the plastic panel didn't survive too long after repeated oil changes. I think the Mazda setup is more solid so I'm hoping it lasts longer but it definitely makes the oil change more time consuming.

Besides the hole for the filter, would there need to be a modification to the back to allow the oil to drip without interference?

My plastic is jacked already from morons doing oil changes, its ruined. I have to crawl under and fix it all when they finish because some of its broken now (i have to put certain flaps in 1st then bolt it down to stay). Road salt and water and misc crap isnt good for your motor and can quickly destroy your alternator, the less its exposed the better. :)

I think even if you cut a hole you will not be able to reach up and get the filter. It will have to be a big hole, and you will drip some oil on the shield anyway. The amount of time you spend figuring out how to do this and then get it done will likely equal the amount of time needed to remove and replace the shield 30 times. Just a guess ;) but you get the picture.

Here are the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_6258 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_6258 (Custom).jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_6259 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_6259 (Custom).jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_6369 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_6369 (Custom).jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_6370 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_6370 (Custom).jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_6371 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_6371 (Custom).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 454
engine shield mod for oil filter access

I cut 3 sides of a "door" under the filter approx 6" square, and left the front edge as a virtual hinge. I also made the cuts slant towards the center of the door at the top side (instead of completely vertical), so the flap holds itself in place when your done, but it does need to be "flexed" to pop it back in place. You have to hold or prop it open while you're working, but not having to use any fasteners to R/R it makes it worth it for me.

Figure I share these pics before I delete them since I no longer have this car. This is only for '06-'10, I believe +'12 uses a proper undertray.

Rough guestimate where the center is (this is not 100% center but close enough).
img1239mm.jpg

Start with a cutting with my tool to get within 1/4" of circumference I marked. Here's a pleasant surprise. The plastic is a very tough but pliable, not hard in the sense that it may crack. Because of its compound, I find that the easiest tool to use is a simple dollar store box cutter! Takes a few mins and you have to cut away slowly but you have a lot more control. Also, b/c some sections are thicker, using the power tool free hand may cause it to 'jump' when you unexpected catch the thicker sections (don't think I'm explaining this properly :p).
img1249r.jpg

Finish product. Use the box cutter and cut at 45 degree angle to round out the edges -done. Easily done by anyone during your routine oil change. Notice the dollar store box cutter's end broke off :( but I've gotten my money's worth from using it all these years and it's prob time for a new one. Automatic upgrade!
img1250sy.jpg

img1251cq.jpg

Interestingly, my new used ’08 comes with a precut access hole for the filter. This car was service since day one by the same Mazda dealer. The PO informed me it was the Mazda service department that made the access hole! You can tell it was cut using a power tool as the ends is jagged but it looks like more of a circle than mine :p

Last edited:
Back