All Sorts of problems AT light throttle body etc Dealer BS

fireman1867

:
07' Mazda5 GT
Wow, I just drove from Moose Jaw to Ottawa 27kish km I have been putting off my 48k km service because the dealer in Regina is not so hot and had planned to have the car serviced in Ottawa. I pulled into Ottawa and the check engine light came on followed by the the AT light and the tranny kicked me down to 1st and I was only able to idle. Slowly pulled off the road and restarted the car it seemed fine except for the check engine light.

So as planned I brought the car in the same day and I was told the throttle body had failed? The part wasn't in but would arrive in a few days. But the Service Manager said the car was safe to drive.....? I am totally perplexed the problem won't reoccur. I asked what went wrong and got the royal run around. Anyways the part is being replaced next week and I wanted to get a feel for how far I shold push this in terms of fiding out what went wrong.

On another note I was told my tranny needed a flush for 180 dollars!!!! Is this necessary? The fluid is brown I assume this is from the wearing in?

Laslty in the unethical dealer file. I was called and told a wheel stud had to be replaced, cost 180 not under warranty. I asked if my car arrived with all 5 lug nuts on each wheel. Dealer tells me to standby, I receievd a call 30 minutes later and was told the repair would be covered, the mechanic broke it. Are you kidding me, my wife would have just paid it not thinking twice. Not to happy, I waited until I was back in Ottawa to get my car serviced I guess all Mazda dealers are created equal.

I'm in Regina. What do you mean by 'the dealer in Regina is not so hot'..?
I'd like to know bec. I do take my mz5 there for the scheduled maintenance.

Throttle body failure is usually the cause of the symptoms you had. It's called "limp home" mode on Saabs. Have you looked into the TB to see if it looks gummy (brown)? You could try some carb cleaner. It's usually the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) on a TB that causes the problem. I'm not sure if the TPS is integral to the TB on a Mazda5.

Brown tranny fluid is not good. You may want to see if there is a TSB on the tranny. Maybe you could use the PCM update? You can chang the fluid yourself, but it will take time. If you do it yourself, drive it around after the first change, then change it again. The torque converter holds quite a bit of fluid, so a flush would be best. You can try to pump it out yourself if you are game.

Wow, I just drove from Moose Jaw to Ottawa 27kish km I have been putting off my 48k km service because the dealer in Regina is not so hot and had planned to have the car serviced in Ottawa. I pulled into Ottawa and the check engine light came on followed by the the AT light and the tranny kicked me down to 1st and I was only able to idle. Slowly pulled off the road and restarted the car it seemed fine except for the check engine light.

So as planned I brought the car in the same day and I was told the throttle body had failed? The part wasn't in but would arrive in a few days. But the Service Manager said the car was safe to drive.....? I am totally perplexed the problem won't reoccur. I asked what went wrong and got the royal run around. Anyways the part is being replaced next week and I wanted to get a feel for how far I shold push this in terms of fiding out what went wrong.

On another note I was told my tranny needed a flush for 180 dollars!!!! Is this necessary? The fluid is brown I assume this is from the wearing in?

Laslty in the unethical dealer file. I was called and told a wheel stud had to be replaced, cost 180 not under warranty. I asked if my car arrived with all 5 lug nuts on each wheel. Dealer tells me to standby, I receievd a call 30 minutes later and was told the repair would be covered, the mechanic broke it. Are you kidding me, my wife would have just paid it not thinking twice. Not to happy, I waited until I was back in Ottawa to get my car serviced I guess all Mazda dealers are created equal.

I just had the same throttle body issue at 56,000k. Limped home, had it serviced, part on order. Car is running fine. Should have it replaced by the end of next week.

Odd you're getting screwed over in Moose Jaw. It's more typical of Ottawa doing the screwing! (laugh)

Hmm my O7 just hit 54k when the failure happened. I can't understand how it failed but then like you they send you back out, and replace the part a week later...? Did the dealer explain to you what went wrong?

As for the Service in Regina its not a technical thing, you can tell its the only dealer in town ie the customer service is not so hot. I would rather not give them my money if I can help it.

How much does the TB cost? Have you priced them? They are easy to replace... easier than a carburetor.

If the dealer is charging you, you may want to DIY.

Hmm my O7 just hit 54k when the failure happened. I can't understand how it failed but then like you they send you back out, and replace the part a week later...? Did the dealer explain to you what went wrong?

As for the Service in Regina its not a technical thing, you can tell its the only dealer in town ie the customer service is not so hot. I would rather not give them my money if I can help it.

Back