new winter boots, & stuck wheel

daan

:
06 "5"
Well I have 3 of 4 snow tires on now. I spent a couple chilly hours messing with these today. It was 5 degrees above (F) when I started, I ended up calling a buddy to see if I could continue in their garage. Lemme tell ya, it sucks putting tires on when your hands stick to the lug wrench, but not as much as trying to do it in a parking lot. So of course, one of the wheels was rusted/stuck onto a brake rotor. I had that happen with a car I used to have, steel wheels on steel rotors I can understand, but not with an aluminum one.:confused: I hosed it down with "Liquid Wrench", banged on it, and ended up just bolting it all back together and hoping I can find time to take it to a tire place this week. (I work all the time, of course the one day I have off for the next 3 weeks is the day nothing's open, and it's super freezing out and snowing...) My hands looked like this guy(ugh) when I was done. Anyway I picked up a set of Goodyear Ultra Grips on steelies from Tire Rack. If I had ...well, gotten paid sooner I could have chosen from more and paid less, but better now than never. I can say that even with 3 good snows, it handles/stops loads better now than with the crap Toyos. My in-laws live out in the country and have a steep driveway, and every time we went last year we got stuck. My F-I-L had to get his plow out so we could leave last Xmas, that went over well...(headshake OK on to the pix.
3091812204_9afebcac81.jpg

3091811972_127e62a503.jpg

3091812288_d531263395.jpg

3091813204_9825d0bfb5.jpg

3090971031_4a1b9655d8.jpg

I f-ed with it for a couple more hours, more penetrating oil, whacking it, taking the nuts off and (carefully) driving it around the parking lot. I finally admitted defeat and took it to the tire place down the street. It took them more than an hour to get it off. They ended up heating it up, and getting a 3-foot pry bar to get it off. Dang! Of course I put grease on the back of all the wheels before I put them on, so hopefully we don't go thru this again in the spring.

i had that happen with a subaru i had once. it took heat and a 5 foot 2x4 to get that wheel off. ever since then i put grease on a wheel EVERY time i have it off. havent had one stick since. even with harsh Ohio winters and road salt.

Back