Remote starter requires me to unlock doors first?!

I got the factory remote starter installed at the dealership when I purchased the car.

They told me that in order to use it, I have to unlock the car first with my "card key" and then press twice on the remote starter to start the vehicule.

If I don't unlock the doors first, the car will start but the alarm will start.

This doesn't make sense to me - espacially that the "card key" have a limited range compared to the 800 ft of the remote starter.

What do you think?

If they told you that, they probably installed aftermarket remote starter.
I did install it myself with factory parts and I can start my car without unlock the car first.
Anyway, let check something. Does your remote start key has only one button, and mazda logo?
Try start the vehicle without unlock the doors. When the engine starts with remote start, do you have to unlock the door to get in?

Last edited:
My remote only has one button, it is quite small and it has the Mazda logo. (and I got 2 remotes)

1st test: When I start the vehicule without unlocking the doors, the engine starts and the doors are still locked. (and the alarm goes on)

2nd test: When I unlock the car the "card key" then start the car using the remote starter, the doord are still locked. (no alarm)

I have a feeling it has to do with the programing...

Thanks!

I had the same problem when I bought my CX-9. There were two wires crossed that caused the horn to go off. All I did was bring it back to the dealership and they fixed it.

Kinda silly to have to unlock the car before starting the vehicle. The autostarter works from a much further distance than the key does. Good luck

that doesn't make sense. Why would you have to unlock the door first? That defeat the whole purpose. My clifford can start the car with door lock or not unlock.

My remote only has one button, it is quite small and it has the Mazda logo. (and I got 2 remotes)

1st test: When I start the vehicule without unlocking the doors, the engine starts and the doors are still locked. (and the alarm goes on)

2nd test: When I unlock the car the "card key" then start the car using the remote starter, the doord are still locked. (no alarm)

I have a feeling it has to do with the programing...

Thanks!

You need bring your car back to dealer to get fix.
I followed the instruction and installed it myself. I don't have that problem.

I bought a ''auto start CS-386i m hf'' remote start but I dont have the installation guide. The user guide is easy to find but I need help with installation. I'm an industrial electrician so I understand how it work but I need info for wiring. Anybody help!?

Only factory remote start can work together with factory alarm system. If you use after-market remote start, you have to deal with factory alarm.
I bought a ''auto start CS-386i m hf'' remote start but I dont have the installation guide. The user guide is easy to find but I need help with installation. I'm an industrial electrician so I understand how it work but I need info for wiring. Anybody help!?

Back