Easy oil change

Scott P

:
2006 MazdaSpeed 6
I must say that changing the oil in the CX-9 was refreshingly easy. The filter is right there with no obstructions in the way. It is a welcome change from our 2004 Envoy that had a filter mounted in a tight space right above the front sway bar.

Five and a half quarts of Mobil 1 0W-20, three ounces of Auto-Rx and a Mobil 1 filter are installed. I'll be running the recommended 7,500 mile interval before changing the oil and having an analysis done to see how it held up. The oil that came out was dealer installed Kendall GT-1. I had that in there for about 2,800 miles.

It is an oil additive that helps keep the engine clean. It most likely isn't needed with such a young engine, but I had an open bottle to use. It actually works best when used to clean up older higher mileage engines of sludge and other contaminants.

Just type the name into google or check out the bitog forums for more info.

Just curious, why did you use 0w-20 instead of the recommended 5w-20?

Let us know the results of your oil analysis in 7500 mi.

From what I've read over at BITOG, I think it's a better oil. No big difference though.

Yeah I've see a lot of different opinions on BITOG. Some of it fact and some fiction. A lot of people don't like M1 on there, I don't get it.

I'm using M1 too but 5w-20.

Anyway post your UOA here too when you get it...

Yeah, changing the oil on my CX-9 is refreshingly easy. The biggest problem is the weight of the car crushed my ramps so I needed to use jackstands instead.

It's way simpler than changing the oil in my 3, which requires a stupid cartridge filter and removing a plastic skid plate to get at the filter.

I run Wix Pro filters and Royal Purple 5x-20 in mine. Seems to like it.

The CX-9 is high enough that I don't need to jack it or use ramps. I know its not super high but its just high enough, at least for me...

I have a set of Rhino ramps, but don't really use them. My Speed6 is too low to use them. On the CX-9, I rotate the tires at the oil interval (6,000-7,500 miles) so I have to jack the vehicle up anyways.

Oh, I have the luxury of having a bro-in-law that owns his own service center. He generally does small things like tire rotations and state inspections for free. I haven't had him rotate yet, I'm waiting til 10k (just because I don't want to bother him with it til then).

Back