Time for new tires...question...

wxcrawler

:
2013 CX-5 Touring FWD
I've got an '06 Sport with 33K miles, and the ol' Toyos are finally toast. I guess I feel pretty lucky getting that many miles, after reading some of the posts about how bad these tires can be.

I read the long "sticky" about different replacement tires for the 5, and found that many people are going with the 215/50/R17 tires as replacements. I like this idea, because the 205's just look too small to me. I know there isn't much difference, but I think a little bigger will look a lot better.

My question is......will putting the bigger tires on my 5 void my vehicle warranty? Is the dealer going to hold it against me when I try to get warranty work done in the future?

From what I read, the bigger tire will have a very small effect on the speedometer and eventually, the odometer. It seems like, over the life of the tires, I'll have driven a little farther than what the odometer will indicate.

Thanks.

Lee

I can't see how they would void your warranty. I really like the Sumitomo HTRZ 3's I had to put on my 09 M5. We had a blow out and could not get the Toyo anywhere, so I replaced both front tires. Now I have a 1300 mile Toyo sitting around.

Replaced my tires about 4 months ago; I went with 205/50ZR17 89W BFGoodrich g-Force™ Sport's from Sam's club...... The tires were $119.00 4 months ago, now there $123.13, up a couple of bucks, but still a good buy...

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=206339

I've been very happy thus far, had a problem with a bubble on one tire and Sam's replaced it with no charge. Tire department charged me the $9.50 for putting the tire on, and the customer service refunded the $9.50 after the tire was installed, service manager explained that Sam's computer system wouldn't let him close out the ticket without charging the $9.50 for the tire replacement, he's the one that sent me to customer service.

I've put approx 10,000 miles (I'm averaging approx 2,800 miles per month) on the new tires so far and I'm not seeing anything unusual with the tires, really good ride and a lot less road noise than the toyo's..... I was at 45,147 when I put them on and I'm not at approx 55,000 and less than 1/10 tread wear thus far......

Last edited:
Has anyone bought and mounted the Yokohama Avids?
They would be the bigger 215/50/17s (they do not make a 205). I have these on another car and like them - just wondering how much improvement on the 5 over the Toyos.

I would never go back to the 205's. This set of Kumho Platinum Ecstas is a very good set of tires. I'm about to go into get my first rotation/rebalance.

I've got about 6k miles on them now, and would definately buy another set.

Matt

AIMWO4,

Any tire rub with your 225's?
What offset do you have on the rims?
I ask b/c I'm looking at 235/45R17's for winters, wondering how close I'd be getting to rubbing...

BTW-dig the screenname.
Most I've met that show a POW MIA sticker have served, going with that generalization, I'm guessing you have as well. Thank you!

Back