Cleaning tips for M5 engine bay

Timotee

:
2007 Mazda 5 GS
Good day to all.

I noticed that our engine bays seems to be well protected by plastic covers but still exposes most of the electric wires going around the bay. I was hoping to clean my engine bay but am hesitant as well because I might end up damaging some of the electrical components within.

I learned my lesson once when I ended up shorting the distributor on my 90 Corolla before simply because I did not cover up when I went hose-happy.

They say steaming is best when cleaning the bay walls.....would you have any other tips for me? (idhitit)

Thank you in advance.

I guess I'll get bashed for saying this, but I do use a high pressure water pistol to clean the engine and bay during/after winter.

I'm just very careful of not directing it to sensitive car "electric" parts and so far no problem. I do clean those manually.

Just wait until the engine cools down a bit if you've driven to the car wash or so (i.e. wash the car exterior first, then the engine bay)

Just to compare:
Here is how it looks the 08 engine (new):
http://www.mazdav.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=121733

Here is how the 06 looks (after 07-08 winter, 2 winters and running strong, LOL):
http://www.mazdav.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=121734

Thanks for the input sir, I appreciate it.

I would like to try that portable steamer first (beer), then inch my way to using a high pressure washer or hose (cheers).

Cool, now you got me thinking, please post the results and some pics (naughty)

any APC will work. A good over the counter would be simple green (dilute it 4:1)

personally i use meguiars APC for my engine bay details.

look in the detailing forum, i believe there is a thread about engine bay cleaning.

any APC will work. A good over the counter would be simple green (dilute it 4:1)

personally i use meguiars APC for my engine bay details.

look in the detailing forum, i believe there is a thread about engine bay cleaning.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention what I use next (especially for the plastic/rubber parts)

Thanks NCZ13.

Here is the Mazda Forums detailing section that NCZ13 is referring to:
http://www.mazdav.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=241

I use a damp cloth and wipe off any dirt on hoses or grime on surfaces that I see. everytime I open the engine bay. The hoses makes big difference after they have been wiped clean of grime/dust. The black plastic cover is notrorious for getting slimed with oil droppings after an oil change at the dealership.

I would watch out using "simple green" cleaner, it is a good cleaner, but not to be used on aluminum.

There are some other cleaners out there that work better and don't turn all of the aluminum yucky, make sure you read the intructions. Some of these are the orange based cleaners.

Also, as was said before, do not clean a hot motor, and make sure to take the car for a drive after, to help dry out the engine bay.

I use a damp cloth and wipe off any dirt on hoses or grime on surfaces that I see. everytime I open the engine bay. The hoses makes big difference after they have been wiped clean of grime/dust. The black plastic cover is notrorious for getting slimed with oil droppings after an oil change at the dealership.

Exactly skyhawk! I just came from the dealership yesterday after having my 16k oil change and when I opened the hood, the plastic top had oil drippings on them......(doh).

Thanks for the tip, I will make sure that I have extra cloths as well.

I would watch out using "simple green" cleaner, it is a good cleaner, but not to be used on aluminum.

There are some other cleaners out there that work better and don't turn all of the aluminum yucky, make sure you read the intructions. Some of these are the orange based cleaners.

Also, as was said before, do not clean a hot motor, and make sure to take the car for a drive after, to help dry out the engine bay.

Thanks for the reminder Mazdadude.

I actually wanted the engine bay washed yesterday at the dealership but the service advisor said that it is not really advisable. Oh well, I guess I would have to take heed and just use a damp cloth....patience is a virtue.

Back