Brakes to be replaced after 50 000 kms!

jasma1

:
'10 MZ-5 GT
Guys,

Got an M-5 GT 06. Got to the garage, cause they where a bit "shaky" when braking at 80 km/h. They called me back an hour later, saying that all of the 4 disks where to be replaced... I could not believe it, since the Van only have 50 000km... Does anyone got the same problem? Any comments?

Thanks,
Jasma

sounds fishy to me...on most cars rear brakes will go with every 2,3 fronts. We had the fronts done around 23,000 miles. But rears were ok. My wife is really hard on the breaks and does alot of stop and go so this number for our car is not surprising.

This is not surprising. You probably have warped brake rotors. I started noticing vibration during braking at highway speeds soon after the car was out of warranty. Replacing the brake pads and rotors is not that hard. If you can do it yourself, the parts will be less than $200.

Thank you guys, for your comments... I know I do a bit like "sunglassguyjack's" wife... I brake often at the last minute and do alot of city driving. But still.... Do you think that this could've been covered by the warranty? If so, I feel bad about my decision, since I decided to bring the vehicle to a Midas dealer....

Thanks for commenting.

Jasma

I had to have the front rotors machined at about 40,000 kms and just replace the front pads and rotors at 51,000kms on my 06.

Sounds like the front rotors got warped or hot spots. Typical on a car that has had the brakes applied HARD at high speed.

I believe warranty only covers the first little while on brakes, since they are technically a consumable. You can contact your dealer and see what the coverage was, and get a reimbursement from Mazda.

If the brakes were 'shaky' (made a pulsing feeling through the pedal) then the rotors were warped. If you are hard on the brakes, that would easily cause that since you would be heating and cooling the brakes rapidly with the stops/starts.

Has anyone done brakes on a 5? I'm pretty good with wrenches and have done a bunch of brake jobs. Just wondering also if there are any special wrenches involved....

Brake wear is not directly correlated to mileage. Somebody that does a lot of stop-and-go will wear them down a lot more quickly than a highway driver.

That said... if you know how to remove a wheel, you can check your own pads and tell whether somebody is yanikng your chain.

Back