2005 Mazda 3 "Clinking" sound in manual trans

BrianG

:
05 Mazda 3 HatchBack
Like the title says, I have an '05 Mazda 3 with manual transmission. 44k miles, but has been doing this for the last 5k miles.

I am getting a small metallic clink or "tink" sound coming from somewhere outside the car. It's a higher pitch clink - kinda like the sound you'd get if you were to lightly hit two small bolts together, or maybe a fork hitting a spoon (or any silverware). It is not getting worse over time, but it is getting annoying.

I hear it when the car starts moving from a stop in reverse or forwards. It doesn't matter if I take off slow, really slow, or fast. I tried starting off in 2nd and it still does it, so it seems like the noise is caused simply by any acceleration from a stop. I do not hear it when braking. I cannot hear it over road and engine noise sound above ~10mph, so it's pretty small.

It sounds like it is coming from outside the car, but can't tell where, but if I were to guess, I would say more towards the front. Just for kicks, I checked for any loose metal objects in the trunk and under the seats. Nothing there.

I hesitate to take it to a dealer because it seems every time I take my car there, they don't see any problem (like my seat belt latch sometimes not letting go when I unlatch it).

Anybody have any ideas where to start looking?

i have a similar problem, only i have an ATX, 2005 also, mine seems to sound a little different from your description though, the noise i experience seems to be a little louder less high pitch more like a knock type of noise, i havent had time to inspect recently, but id say to start near around the transmission and axels, then check motor mounts and all that good stuff

From what I can see, the mount looks ok, although I'm no expert. And the noise is definitely not a clunk, just a small "tink" noise...

Since it happens when I am moving, it's hard to locate it, but it kinda sounds like it's coming from the front. Of course, this doesn't narrow it down much since 90% of the mechanical stuff is there...

I had a similar sound, almost like a squeak. Annoyed me for awhile. Turned out to be the fan motor for the a/c, vent, etc. Turned off the fan and the noise went away. Turned the fan back on and noise came back and then eventually stopped squeaking. Hope this helps.

Nope, it's not that. Fan on/off or speed doesn't matter, and it's definitely something that happens only on take-off.

I own mazda 3 1.6 CD (turbo diesel)
I had the same "tink" problem.
Mine was at front right wheel .Something that holds breaking pads is making that "tink" sound. Mechanic said , nothing fatal. Some grease will fix the problem.
Here , you can hear how it sounded (I was frustrated , recorded it, and sent to mazda representative)

Sorry for bad eng.

That's exactly how mine sounds! Thank you!!

That recording sounds a bit worse than mine though. I just get one "tink" on takeoff, yours seems to go "tink tink tink"...

Hmm, so it's the brake pad mounts, eh? Might take it in and have them look at it anyway. It's probably time for new brakes anyway since I'm at ~48k miles...

Latest posts

Back