How to install an Apexi Auto Timer w/ O2 AF

theurgy

:
Mazdaspeed3
Now I figure I would start this write up cause 3 people have asked me personally for the details, as well I promised I would in a few other forums.
This is data I've compiled from various other guides for various other turbo timers and AF guage installs.

Also note that installing this way WILL allow your doors to lock (I've proven this with my own personal install).

Here is the unit as it comes out of the box:
ekp204.jpg

I had to extend the wires for the Green, Red and Blue wires coming from the unit I made sure to solder and heatshrink the wires and the extension wires were the same gauge as well to ensure no issues later on:
2v3n1nk.jpg

I've wired up using the wires found under the top steering column cover to the left (driver's side). It's a harness with a swing clip so you can remove it for easier access.
ng3ecw.jpg

The Red & Blue wires from the Turbo Timer tap into the Red thick wire(12V Constant) at the column. That's BOTH of these wires on the same wire with two different taps.

The Green wire from the Turbo Timer taps into the Green/Yellow wire(Ignition) at the column.

I found the best place to mount the black control unit box is on the right hand side of the steering column housing and using double sided tape we mounted to the inside.
Then we made sure that there were no clearance issues with the wires and that you can move the telescopic steering up down and in and out.
Also make sure to zip tie the wires together and securely.
vymjb8.jpg

The Brown (or Grey) wire from the Turbo Timer taps into the e-brake signal. There is only one wire on the handbrake switch.
The best place to tap for the handbrake is to take the center console out (if you want to know how to do that.. read the TWM short shifter instructions.. they tell you exactly how)then immediately behind the handbrake there is a black wire with a green stripe that you tap into.. don't try tracing the wire down the line closer to the stereo.. as there are several black wires with green stripes in the bunch (from what I learned...LOL).
ejzfaq.jpg

2pshij7.jpg

Next using the supplied crimp on U connector attach the ground (the Black with either Grey or Brown dots wire) to a proper grounding point. I found the best place was found in the driver's side footwell:
6p5czn.jpg

Now as for the White with Grey dots wire (O2 signal wire):

I've attached a PDF with the ECU pinouts. The ECU is located under the hood next to the battery.
The wire you want to tap into is the Rear Oxygen Sensor (2Q) which is a Narrowband O2 sensor.
Here is a pic of that ECU pinout:
2qao9hk.jpg

Here is a pic of that wire tapped:
2dvv387.jpg

*Also note that I used split looming to protect the wire running through the engine bay. This is always a good measure.

Also best place to run those wires, there is a grommet on the driver's side, to find it use a flashlight and look in the gap between the driver's strut bump and the battery box.. there is a single black cable (the hood release cable actually) and use a coat hanger and poke through it.
24m820x.jpg

2e4huds.jpg

Finally.. once you start your car.. you'll notice you won't get an AF reading right away.. that's cause the sensor needs to warm up beforehand... drive around for a few minute and you'll then see the 10-20 AF ratio number pop up.

As for mounting your pen-style control unit, that is up to you, I mounted mine on my left hand side using 3m double sided tape, centered just below the left hand side vent and just above the DSC/HID controls. Some people have run them to the ashtray out of view, but again that's your choice.

Hope that helps you out... also depending where you bought your TT.. know that Apexi has had issues with some Chinese manufacturer's creating fake Turbo Timers. Look out for those and make sure yours is a real one.

http://www.apexi-usa.com/news_article.asp?id=12

Now as for the discussion in here, we all know the arguments that:
A: Modern Turbos don't require a Turbo Timer... blah blah...
B: Narrowband O2 gauges are useless .. blah blah..

Please argue these points in other threads, because this is a how-to, people who are looking to install one of these have already made that decision, and have considered these points.

Attachments

• ecu.pdf
    360.3 KB · Views: 2,735
Last edited:
Basic crimp on wire taps:
22-18AWG red quick splice wire tap scotchlock
5601.gif

Used them for the O2 Sensor Wire, Ground Wire and the Handbrake Wires

and
16-14AWG blue quick splice wire tap scotchlock.
5602.gif

Used them for the Ignition, Accessory and Power wires.

woot great info, I'll be using it tomorrow

Last edited:
I got the turbo Timer installed and all nice like. I put it in the ash tray, put some foam behind it to hold it forward more and steady. How does the turbo timer detect that you need to idle for a period of time if you don't connect the O2 sensor, or does it not?

good stuff. I'm ordering my TT shortly. question...where are the pics? lol

wish i found this write up earlier.
good work but i wud love some visual aides as well.

i did mine 1/2 using the instructions that came with it n 1/2 using a write up for the greddy TT.

end result...
it's still not hooked up to the ECU n when its on the keyless entry/alarm doesn't work at all which means i have to always remember to manually look my doors.

any1 else have this problem or the solution to it?

i believe it was hockep up to the 1st ignition switch by the steering wheel n also the e brake down by the e-brake all with wire taps n grounded of coarse.

few days ago it stopped workin!!!
not completely though, the display still functions as normal however it all jus shuts down when i switch off!

i guess it's jus a tap came lose or sometin???
any1 hav any clue?

havn't had time to check it out yet mayb nex week after finals!

Well if the tap for the Handbrake came lose that would do it.
I would check every wire.... also check your settings on your unit.. it might be set to 0 low and like 30 high.. or something.

Oh and BTW to everyone I just helped two buddies of mine with Apexi Auto Timers installed on their Speed3's as well and got pictures of their install!!
I will be cropping them and expanding my install guide soon.

Well if the tap for the Handbrake came lose that would do it.
I would check every wire.... also check your settings on your unit.. it might be set to 0 low and like 30 high.. or something.

Oh and BTW to everyone I just helped two buddies of mine with Apexi Auto Timers installed on their Speed3's as well and got pictures of their install!!
I will be cropping them and expanding my install guide soon.

(thumb) awesome. my apexi TT has been sitting in the closet for like 3 months now.

^ LOL.
mine sat for like 2 weeks before i did it.

it was my 1st mod on my car n took longer than expected (like 5hrs) to figure out takin off panels n testin wires n compiling existing how to's (none were apexi TT's).

I wud lov to c those pics b4 i get back to re-installin my TT.
they'd b a huge help!

nice, thanks for the pics - still haven't installed mine yet but this is giving me less excuses not to.

do you have to adjust the O2 and A/F settings on the unit so the timer knows when to shut off?

The default is the 30 second option... you can set it up to 2 minutes.
Alternately you can put it in auto mode.. and then you set a min and a max..
So like 30 Second min and 2 minute max.
Then it'll adjust according to it's readings from your 02..
I would just read the manual they give you settings this as myself I just keep it at 30 seconds.

Back