I smell coolant... all the time

AO928

:
2008 Mazda5
Ever since I got my 5 back in March of this year, when I shut it off after it is at operating temp, I smell coolant. There are no drips, no apearant loss of coolant (but I haven't checked for quite a while), oil is clear, etc.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this?

Are you smelling it inside or outside the car? If inside it could be a small leak from the heater core.

Had a 96 Explorer that constantly smelled of coolant inside and out. After about a month of poking around looking for a leak, I finally found that it was a hose fitting on the head that was dripping coolant directly onto the exaust manifold. Never enough to produce visible steam, just the stink.

If it was the heater core, I'd smell it inside, but it's only outside and after it's hot. Before I go home tonight, I'll look at the coolant level in the expansion tank.

Quick update... Looked at the coolant res. last night before leaving work... almost empty! I'll have the dealership do a pressure test and find the leak.

Replace those oem spring clamps on your coolant hoses with traditional drive clamps and barring an actual leak in your system you will stop smelling coolant and losing it.

Years ago the dealer pressure tested mine and said its was fine but it still smelled. R&R the clamps has eliminated both issues for me.

Sorry to not respond sooner.

Service tech couldn't find any leak. Looked all over (so he says). Filled up the cooland and told me to come back in a month.

Looks like I'll have to take this job on myself.

I have the same thing on my 08, I smell it outside all the time.
I have not noticed a level drop in 4000 miles, though.

Dealer also check it and said it was fine.

I have the same thing on my 08, I smell it outside all the time.
I have not noticed a level drop in 4000 miles, though.

Dealer also check it and said it was fine.

My coolant also looked fine at about 4k. I now have 7k and it was almost empty. Keep an eye on it. If you smell it, it's going somewhere.

I noticed my coolant level at "L" when I changed the oil this weekend. I have a bunch of the standard "green" antifreeze at home (Wal-Mart's SuperTech brand). Anyone added coolant to their 5? Would a 50/50 mix be OK?

Back