Where to mount Sirius unit (Starmate)

OBraves

:
2008 CX-9
I have a Sirius unit I had in my previous vehicle. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to mount it? There are so many rounded areas and not enough flat surfaces. For now it is below the far left a/c vent but it is difficult to see. I prefer to not use the windshield suction cup mount to avoid theft.

I have mine tucked into the cubby hole in front of the shifter. The guys at best buy made a bracket and even hard wired it into my aux line. works fine for me.

I also set mine in front of the cubby hole and mouted the base with
some thick double-sided tape. The rubber bottom in the cubby pulls up and you can run the wires through there. Then I drilled a hole in the corner of the center console bin to feed the power cord and 3.5mm jack through. I'll post pics tonight if I get a chance. I originally tried to get by with the antenna inside where the windshield meets the dash. I got spotty reception, so I routed it to the factory location on the roof and that solved the problem.

ground noise

Do you get the alternator noise (squeel) using the aux jack? I hear a whine and a static sound if I move the mirror while AUX is selected. I am thinking of using the Crutchfield ground loop isolator found on other posts.
Thanks

How did you hard wire the AUX? I get a squeal from the alternator.

Use the isolator to eliminate the whine. It works great. You have Three choices for AUX: Drill holes in the center console and plug directly into the AUX jack, run the unsightly wires along the passenger side of the center console and into where the AUX jack is (notice notch for wires), or pull out what is needed to find the AUX wire leading from the AUX Jack and tap into it.

IMG_3423.jpg

IMG_3435.jpg

It took quite a bit of time to cut and trim,then come up with a way to support the unit from the bottom. Unit is hardwired into AUX input.

IMG_3430.jpg

I have a "second" oem aux in hidden inside console,ipod is connected using line level 30 pin dock cable to mini jack. Ipod and Sirius mini jacks are plugged into a y-adapter,then plugged into hidden aux in.Only down side so far is if you switch from ipod to sirius or vice versa the sound levels go out of whack (too low).Simply powering off the head unit restores the proper levels.

IMG_3427.jpg

Terrible photo,but gives an idea of how it looks at night. The thing has similar piano black trim and the lighting can be changed.

How are you wiring these into the Aux inputs? Is there a connection behind the radio that us easy to access? I have a Starmate Replay in the lower pocket there and a temporary cable wired to the Aux port in the console. I need to install a ground loop isolator, but would also like to get everything hidden better.

Nothing is connected to the back of the head unit. The aux in jack inside the console can be purchased at the dealer. I got another one so i would not have too look at a big hole in the bottom of my cubby.

You pull off the back of the console(part with rear HVAC controls). Unplug the original aux in and connect harness to new "hidden aux in". Next plug in your mini jack ground loop isolator. Next part to plug in is a 2 into 1 mini jack,so you can run 2 sources like Ipod / MP3 / Sirius whatever .

Run the line out mini jack from the Sirius XM unit along the inside or bottom of the console to the rear and plug into one port of the mini jack 2 into 1 adapter. I then drilled a hole into the console box to run my Ipod cable. I went with one of these.
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=614&sku=35508
Sounds much better than headphone jack level out.

Dave

No it basically becomes a dummy jack.

You can skip the second aux in,and just route all the other stuff into the original jack. But this will leave an ugly mess of wires and ground loop isolator in the storage box.

Nothing is connected to the back of the head unit. The aux in jack inside the console can be purchased at the dealer. I got another one so i would not have too look at a big hole in the bottom of my cubby.

You pull off the back of the console(part with rear HVAC controls). Unplug the original aux in and connect harness to new "hidden aux in". Next plug in your mini jack ground loop isolator. Next part to plug in is a 2 into 1 mini jack,so you can run 2 sources like Ipod / MP3 / Sirius whatever .

Run the line out mini jack from the Sirius XM unit along the inside or bottom of the console to the rear and plug into one port of the mini jack 2 into 1 adapter. I then drilled a hole into the console box to run my Ipod cable. I went with one of these.
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=614&sku=35508
Sounds much better than headphone jack level out.

Dave

Nice Job Dave - Question - How did you handle the antenna and where did you pick up power for the Sirius XM unit?

Bob

Thanks.

I tapped into the wire for the power socket right next to the Sirius unit,this socket is live with ignition on only. Unlike socket inside console which is live all the time. Since you will have the console apart it is easy to use a t-tap on the wire behind the socket.

The antenna is on the roof, centered just in front of the liftgate. It is a magnetic base and has survived a few car washs with no problems. Running
the wire from front to back involves removing some interior trim,but this is not too difficult. Once you get the wire to the back.Pull the weatherstrip for the liftgate up off the body. Run the wire inside the weatherstrip till you get the antenna to the roof.

Dave

Back