Tires on RX8 rims

Jetmech

235/40R18 Tires on RX8 rims mounted with pics...

Was wondering if anybody has seen a 235/40R18 being used on a mazda 5 and if there are any issues. The 225/45R18 on now aren't creating any but wondering if I can widen anymore.

(cheers)

Last edited:
Offset is 50mm on RX8 vs 52.5mm on Stock M5 rim. More interested in fender rubbing or will I have to roll them.

well, for one, the new tires will be slightly shorter. .6" shorter overall, so that would be .3" from the hub up.

Look at the tires you have now, do they clear everything? How much room is there? Now look .3" down from where the top of the tire is, is there room there? Is there 10mm more room? Now jack up that tire. Fully compress the suspension. Check the same clearances. Then you'll know for sure if you'll be ok.

Well to answer my own question there doesn't seem to be any issues with mounting a 235/40R18 on the 5. I test fitted one today and ended up putting all four as well. I was more interested in rubbing on the inner spindles but there is lots of room. Will post pics later today. Love the width as well.

Cheers

Here are some pics of the 235 s mounted. Looks like the tire isn't strecthed like 225. Anyways 235 are not an issue.

Jamie, you can put 235 on those wheels no problem, and with +50 offset you will not have a problem with rubbing.

I am now riding on 225/40/18 with +45 offset, lowered and no problem at all

Actually you could possibly go wider imo like up to 245 but the front would be close on the fenders and depends if you were lowered or not. It wasn't the fenders I was worried about it was rubbing on the inside and whether or not when wheels are at full cock would it rub on the suspension/spindles.

On a different note time for me to install the hid kit and I will be done for this year on the mod front. Hopefully the used prolumen kit is all good. Is it true all I have to do to bypass the drl is install seperate ground for the kit.

Last edited:
Back