Favourite type of oil ?

Hello everyone,
Reaching the 1st oil change interval, and I am curious what everyone around here is using. Is it just what is cheapest at the time? I have started reading through oil forums, but I was hoping for a more focused answer.

Thanks in Advance

I'm using castrol syntec. Honestly, I just grabbed it because the store I was at didn't have any 5-20 mobile 1 full synthetic. I've just never changed over to mobile 1 because the castrol syntec works great...

In my opinion, it's just personal preference and what oil people like to use...

I'm using castrol syntec. Honestly, I just grabbed it because the store I was at didn't have any 5-20 mobile 1 full synthetic. I've just never changed over to mobile 1 because the castrol syntec works great...

In my opinion, it's just personal preference and what oil people like to use...

I'll put in vote #2 on Castrol Syntec. Oil change #1 was done at the dealer with regular Castrol I believe. I am going to pay the extra for synthetic this time if it isn't too outrageous. Normally I would do my own oil, but all those plastic screws... I'm just to busy for that right now. Plus, It's under warranty, so I figure it's worth a few $$$s to build rapport with the service people (just in case)

Motul Oil

2008 GT
Just did my first oil change 3500KM
Motul 5w30 Eco-nergyFull synthenic oil

My next oil change I am planning to try out Motul 5w40 X-cess
100& Full synthenic oil.http://www.motul.com

Last edited:
I USE MOBIL 1 5W-30 EXTENDED PERFORMANCE (FULL SYNTHETIC) ON BOTH MY 2008 MAZDA 5 TOURING AND MY 2007 SS CHEVY TRAILBLAZER. (crazy)

Pennzoil Platinum has been getting great reviews from users and lab reports. Castrol Syntec is great in 0-30 German made. Motorcraft 5/20 is also great and is a semi-syn that isn't expensive. Even our BG rep for our dealership showed us how much better the Motorcraft oil tested than other conventionals.

I use the ultra premium Motorcraft 5-20 from Wal-Mart ;)

Since the oil gets changed every 2 months (2500 miles per month!) I guess that is ok...

Re: Motorcraft 5-20

Is that the stuff that comes in the 5 from the factory, or is there some kind of magical break-in oil?

Just curious.

Factory-fill oil is almost never the same thing that the dealers (nor anyone else) carry. It's not magic break-in oil, though. It's just a different supplier.

I use Renewable Lube's Bio-Syn oil. I haven't found anything that will last more than 5,000 miles in our MZR yet, and many things are really trashed by then (speaking from lab results, not touch or smell or appearance). Hopefully the Bio-Syn will. Another month or two will tell.

BLAH!!!. why all the expensive oil??? Valoline 5w-20(winter), 5w-30(summer). We're not driving some speed record cars here folks, just change oil regularly and your golden.. (drinks)

I use AMSOIL 0W-20 Full Synthetic in my 08 MZ5 GT,
My first oil and fliter at 1500km(half regular Castrol and half AMSOIL because the engine is too new to use 100% Synthetic). After the first change, every 8000km with AMSOIL 0W-20 Full Synthetic. Right now my MZ5 reading 18000km. So far so good and happy driver. We need 0W or 5W in Calgary for the winter low low temp.

Factory-fill oil is almost never the same thing that the dealers (nor anyone else) carry. It's not magic break-in oil, though. It's just a different supplier.

I use Renewable Lube's Bio-Syn oil. I haven't found anything that will last more than 5,000 miles in our MZR yet, and many things are really trashed by then (speaking from lab results, not touch or smell or appearance). Hopefully the Bio-Syn will. Another month or two will tell.

You sound like a BITOG member (burnout)

I haven't found anything that will last more than 5,000 miles in our MZR yet, and many things are really trashed by then (speaking from lab results, not touch or smell or appearance).

What type/brand of oil have you tried so far?

bulwnkl:
I am also interested ... I am finally due for my first OCI.

I am planning on going with Castrol Syntec 5W-20, any info?

I have just started lurking on BITOG and castrol seems pretty good, but I haven't stumbled on any direct info wrt MZR.

Back