Can you disable the speed limit warning?

bodolf

I am desperate to find out how to disable the speed limit warning. The GCC spec has a constant beeping from 120 Kmph. Doing 320 kilometers daily to work and back becomes challenging.(help)

I am desperate to find out how to disable the speed limit warning. The GCC spec has a constant beeping from 120 Kmph. Doing 320 kilometers daily to work and back becomes challenging.(help)

Your car beeps when you hit 120Kmps/75Mph?? That certainly doesn't happen on the U.S. models. Where are you located? perhaps it is country specific......

Hello bodolf,
Welcome to the SPEED LIMIT club, hehehe...
I've been listening to this nuisance beeping sound since October last year. By the way, I'm an Expatriate living in Saudi. When I bought the car, the salesman did not mentioned about the continous beeping sound. Probably you have already experienced that our CX-9 cannot go beyond 160km/h. This is GCC Governor limit. Other member from Bahrain, Qatar and Kuwait are having the same experience. We are still looking ways to get rid the beeping sound. let us know if you manage to get it off from your CX-9. Good luck.

find the little speaker and kill it! LOL...if there is a dedicated speaker for this beeping sound. THank God we dont have that on US models. Ive taken her up to 90mph...but my wife yelled at me! ;-) I'll take the beeping sound I guess.

I, too, am an Expat living in Saudi with this most annoying 120KPh beeper. Has anyone come up with a fix to silence this headache?
Also there is the 160KPH limiter another pain, any fixes for that??

yes the over speed beep can be dissabled. the other diss advantage is that with this the sound for the signaling and the door warning sounds are also dissabled.

the dealer where you bought the car can do that. Be insistent is not a matter for loosing the warranty.Killing the 160 speed limiter is.

Good luck!!

160 km/h speed limit is killing me

...or keeping me alive for that matter ;)
Did anyone find a way to remove it? I hear there is a guy in UAE who can do it...anyone has his coordinates?
regards from Saudi Arabia :)

I'm going to find a way to stop the 120 beeping and the 160 limiter!
'll keep you informed if still interested.

the dealer already reduced the noise by I guess putting a resistor close to the beeper, so now all the noises (belt, light, ...) are reduced, too.

avoiding beeping and limitation to 160 can only be fixed by changing software settings.
if I can't find a suitable software I'll find a shop in UAE to fix it!

found a dealer in Al Ain! ^^

Last edited:
If you can find another ECU, you might want to ship it to the folks at CP-E (www.cp-e.com). Lou is an ECU genuis. I am sure he can find the routine in the ECU and flash it out.

I don't want to pay EUR 600,- yet.. Too much money for this issue, especially they are introducing more and more radars in Dubai and Ajman the last few weeks.
They're smelling the money I suppose..

Speed Warning on CX9

hookah,

you posted a long time ago on this subject of speed warning, I have just transfered from Bahrain to the UAE and I am now suffering with my CX9 beep at 120 and above. (never a problem in Bahrain as we ran out of road so quick it did not matter!)
I tried your link but it is no longer valid, could you send me some details of the guy in Al Ain. Thanks

Salam, hey I just bought a used 2009 cx9 , just have a few questions, please help if u can, I thought the grand touring version has bsm and bluetooth for phone connectivity but both are not present in the cx9 I bought, now I think its GT because it has wooden trim, 20 inches wheels, chrom door handles, seat memory turning signals on the side mirrors , I think all of this is specific to grand touring then why dont I have a blind spot monktorng and bluetooth, I am really confused do u have same problem ,is this gcc specification. Also I want to.add that the first owner installed a back camera , and the device with the cera also has option for.bluetooth connectivity but when I try to.connect my phone doesnt connect to that either

Last edited:
BT and BSM are standard on GT in USA, but not necessarily so in other countries.

Thanks for the info this is.so. Unfair :(
anyone from saudi.arabia, or any other gulf country who.could reply to my question, and how do I connect to.the installed (non mazda) navigation and camera device with bluetooth which is also an option in the device

Ok ive found the answer - about 30 mins with 2 screwdrivers gets the instrument cluster out and in the back of it under a circle of holes is a little buzzer, a shallow silver can about 2cm across with ahiole in the centre. this is what makes all the noises - the beeping when u put key in position 2 with the door open, the clicking for indicators and the 120kmh warning (im fairly sure of the last one but havent teste it yet). If in doubt, turn on the indicatior and then put your hand over the hole and see if it gets quieter - if so then you have the right puppy. its up to you then - pour glue in it or like me if you want something reversible, wrap it in foam and tape to deaden the noise. i dont suggest shoving a screwdriver through it as yiou may lose your speedo at the same time. Be aware that muting the overspeed beep will mute a range of other beeps - the only one i would miss is the indicator click, and technically you could replace that by adding 2 cheap sounders between the green lights in the cluster and earth.

You may wonder how to get the cluster out and i havent the time right now to post pics, but in brief: pull off the two wood trims fro thje centre console (horizontal pull toward rear of car, no screws), [you may also need to do these but not suere - i had them out for other reasons: then prize verticaly upward the panel round the gear stick. then prize bacwards the panel containingthe cigar lighter. this then allows you to pull off the huge centre panel that surrounds the stereo and covers from the center speaker down to the heater controls in one go]. then whip off the drivers side panels from the bottom up: so the balck horizontal panel you kick with your feet by the pedals, the lower dash and then the upper dash. each one holds the one above in so you have to go bottom up. i also had to take out the kick plate on the drivers side by the lower front corner of the drivers door. all in there were maybe 4 screws (plus 3 on the cluster itself) - all the rest were clips. only well hidden screw was the one exposed by removing the bonnet pull from the dash. If youre in ksa, call me on 0565 867 040 and i'll help. cheers, A

Thanks for the time to write about your method of reducing or eliminating this horrible beeping noise, I bought my car in ukraine the other day with 9200 kilometers, I believe it is an arab version as there is arabic writing on the mirrors and service booklet, the dealer here said there is nothing he can do to eliminate the beeping at 120 kph or the 160 kph speed limiter, he said I could take it to one of the local tuners but die'nt recomend doing it as they could some how mess up the computer, it is so sad because the car is such a performer, I took it up to 160kph to see if there was a speed limiter, and yep, there is, and 160 kph does'nt feel as fast as it is in this car. It had 18 inch nokian snow tires mounted on it with the original 20inch tires and wheels in the back, yes they were all like new and fit in the back even with the sec_ond row up. Cool car, really like how it drives, just wish there was an easier/better way than pulling of the dash to kill the beep, and that speed limiter, just bugs me, dont ever plan to go faster than a hundred miles an hour, but who knows? But that 75 mph beep, thats definitely too much. Any new ideas? Kind of neat going back in time and buying a five year old car that is still new, rich man bought it for his wife, they live in a big city and did'nt like it because it was to big for her, so she got a bmv x1, I love it! I put the big 20's back on and the dealer reset the computer for the big tires. So neat site, cool cars, please help

Back