Steel wheels and TPMS

Sweetie3.14

:
Mazda5
I need to get winter wheels but I don't need the hassle or expense of aluminum wheels. Will the TPMS sensors work on steel rims?

I need to get winter wheels but I don't need the hassle or expense of aluminum wheels. Will the TPMS sensors work on steel rims?

I think we went through this last winter, but I'm too lazy to search. I'll give you the general overview:

Tmps monitors are in the valve stems. They will work with any tire. The downside is that many vehicles can only register 4 sensors. You can't really "swap" sensors from one tire to another, plus most people have the snows mounted on rims. So you would have to buy 4 sensors, plus pay someone to reprogram the sensor 2 times a year (if the 5 can't store more... I really can't remember. But ever car I have seen only stores 4 sensors)

What is the alternative?

Go without sensors and buy a tire gauge. I would recommend splurging for a $10-20 digital unit. I believe that you get the TMPS warning light on the dash, but it's a trade-off (I haven't priced sensors, but I have heard $200+ for new sensors and around $50 (US) for each programming. Most people go this route.

I see you location is Germany, so I am not sure if you are German domestic or maybe US Military stationed. Most of my knowledge is the US market, so check local laws/regulations in other countries. I would imagine that there is no law requiring you to have tire sensors, just that the car has the capability.

For US customers thinking about snows, I will recommend tirerack.com. I'm not associated with them at all, but ordered my Dunlop Wintersports 3Ds and they were mounted, balanced and shipped directly to me for under $700. I couldn't touch that price locally with far inferior tires.

I know what TPMS is and how it works. I want to know if the sensors will fit on a steel rim.

Oh. Guess I didn't answer that one. You should be able move the TMPS sensors to a different wheel. They are usually attached to the valve step and not integrated into the wheel itself. I can't think of a reason why a steel rim would be any different than the Aluminum rims, so retrofit shouldn't be an issue.

Back